black on logo

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

black on logo

Post by coolair »

Does anyone know what the black on the eagle log is, i know they are chromed pot metal, but is it just black paint?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
JeremyD

Re: black on logo

Post by JeremyD »

coolair wrote:Does anyone know what the black on the eagle log is, i know they are chromed pot metal, but is it just black paint?
I did mine recently - polished, cleaned and painted with black acrylic enamel
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

On the same note, I need to have my eagles repaired as they are corroding and one is missing the head. Any place to send them off to?
However I will still need both arms and legs...You know so I can run the boat.

Matt, a flat black enamel would probably look good in my opinion.

Matt
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

matt ciarpella wrote:On the same note, I need to have my eagles repaired as they are corroding and one is missing the head. Any place to send them off to?
They're pot metal and not repairable... Danny at High Tide Marine in Marathon, Fl has really nice ones in 316 stainless steel... See the links page for URL
coolair

Post by coolair »

dannys are nice, not cheap though
I figured it was just paint. wanted to double check. but repairing the pits is very hard and expensive.
To have my 2 eagles, "31", and "bertram" re chromed was 250 bucks.. to have them repaired and re chromed and hope for the best would have been another 250. so 500, i dont think the sets from danny are that much
to re chrome them, thy have to strip them, which in it self could cause more corrosion of the pot metal. the coper plate them, this fill in the pits with silver solider, the nickel then chrome. there are some paste type fillers they make now for pot metal,
Just for fun, i am setting up a small chroming set up. I am going to try and do one just for fun. I will post some pics and see how it comes out.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

This stuff looks like it could be used to repair them.

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/aluminum_repair.asp

I was thinking about just having mine powdercoated black without rechroming.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Rawleigh wrote:This stuff looks like it could be used to repair them.

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/aluminum_repair.asp
Pot metal melts just above the melting point of lead. They really aren't worth the effort to mess with... Spend the bucks, get Danny's 316, and you're good to go for the lifetime of the boat.
Buju

Post by Buju »

What is pot metal composed of anyways?

Hate that crap... job security though.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Buju wrote:What is pot metal composed of anyways? Hate that crap... job security though.
Pot metal is a slang term that refers to alloys that consist of inexpensive, low-melting point metals used to make fast, inexpensive castings. There is no scientific metallurgical standard for pot metal; common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminium, iron, and cadmium. The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast.

Due to its low melting temperature no sophisticated foundry equipment is needed and specialized molds are not necessary. It is sometimes used to experiment with molds and ideas before using metals of higher quality. It is sometime referred to as white metal, die-cast zinc, or monkey metal. Examples of items created from pot metal include toys, furniture fittings, tool parts, electronics components, and automotive parts.