Shakedown run, wheel question and searching for Bertram Flybridge Side Steps

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Sweetnut

Shakedown run, wheel question and searching for Bertram Flybridge Side Steps

Post by Sweetnut »

Boat was moved from Point Pleasant to Forked River Diesel on Friday, engines ran beautifully, albeit underpropped (Cummins 270's spinning at 2800 rpm....cruised at 21 kts at 2000 rpm with Michigan 4 blade 20 x 22 wheels). I spoke with Tony already, might have to add some pitch to get desired cruise up and WOT rpms down. I'll grab some more pics when Forked River is done with her. On a side note, does anyone have a set of flybridge side steps they would be looking to sell (rare as hens teeth, I know) Had looked for a set for my last 31, but sold the boat and forgot about it. Appreciate any and all help.
Ron
Tony Meola

Re: Shakedown run, wheel question and searching for Bertram Flybridge Side Steps

Post by Tony Meola »

Ron

21 knots at 2000 RPM is not that far off. You should have pushed her up to 2200 to see what she would give you. If you hit 23 to 24 knots, then you would have been pretty much there.

Those 270's will run at 2400 all day long. I normally run between 2000 and 2200 but have pushed when wanting to get home. Never an issue with running at 2400.

I was up by John today and took a look at her. She is in nice shape.

It looks like someone removed the Bathroom or maybe she was a rare one ordered with the V berth toilet. They were working on her when I stopped by and John was on her going over everything with the Mechanic.

Good luck with her, she should give you exactly what you wanted.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
franzmerenda

Re: Shakedown run, wheel question and searching for Bertram Flybridge Side Steps

Post by franzmerenda »

Sweetnut wrote: Sep 23rd, '24, 06:29 On a side note, does anyone have a set of flybridge side steps they would be looking to sell (rare as hens teeth, I know) Had looked for a set for my last 31, but sold the boat and forgot about it. Appreciate any and all help.
Ron
A fellow Member of this board wrote in a thread about these 'Perko side pillar steps', offering 2 pairs of them.
Dunno if they are still available.
I'm gelously keeping in a safe 'LOL' the beautiful ones Tommy gave me and when I'll end the window frames project, my aim is trying to understand if some mold for casting them can be made; from the few due diligences I carried out into classic cars industry, it seems it could be very expensive...
Sweetnut

Post by Sweetnut »

Thanks for the reply guys. Tony, my last 31 was a FBC, and had the standard dinette on port, stand up head, counter and sink starboard. I found it nice, but not really needed for my needs. I was looking recently for a Sportfish , no bulkhead, open interior, open layout, etc. This 31 is extremely bright and open, with bench seating on port, and custom cabinet/tackle station starboard. Kind of like a sport fish layout without the bulkhead. Head is in v berth. Very clean with the white interior and minimal wood.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ron

Sounds like they did an update on the interior.

The Sportfish is nice, but the Bulkhead allows you to lock up the boat and also have some privacy. It also keeps the rain out when it's blowing. If I were in Florida, the Sportfish would probably be more attractive to me. It would be nice to have the back open all the time in that type of weather.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ron

One other thing, I was looking at the rudders on yours, and they looked like they might still be original. You might want to check the sizing on them and if they are original you might want to update them down the road. It makes a world of difference.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Sweetnut

Post by Sweetnut »

Tony, They are definitely the upgraded larger rudders ( my last 31 had the originals). This boat was very well maintained, I am the third owner. Extensive upkeep and upgrades were done by previous owner, including the Cummins 270's, tower and hardtop, upgraded rubrail, rupp outriggers, 6 inch exhaust with mufflers and surge tubes moved outboard, glass tech deck, interior, etc. The deck in addition to the exhaust being moved allows for 2 large rectangular hatches...would love fishboxes in there now that exhaust is out of the way but not sure how to go about. This boat at one time was outfitted with a full tower years ago!!! Once the mechanicals are done and I run her back to Long Island and clean her up a bit, I will learn how to post pics.
Ron
p.s. Found a set of the side steps as well