Relocating diesel Fuel fill

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Relocating diesel Fuel fill

Post by Ironworker »

Currently my diesel fill is in the stern. I am opening up the sides and stern (removing panels) and I would like to relocate the fuel fill to an area through the gunwale under the engine box or possibly just have the fill under the engine box and not exposed. Another option is in the side panel at the engine box.

I see a couple of issues with it. First I have to route the fill hose under or over the wet exhaust pipe. Secondly, I have a tower leg in that area but I'm beefing up the gunwale with new bulkhead and glass.

If this a wise move or a stupid one? What am I missing? Anybody else done something similar?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmrnoi57p9i6x ... l.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtq50acg7ux87 ... e.jpg?dl=0
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
EarleyBird

Re: Relocating diesel Fuel fill

Post by EarleyBird »

I use to have side tanks before the Cummins. Removed everything..tanks, fills,etc. Bought Lee Senior vertical Rod Holders for both P&S side holes. Solved that problem with the Covering Boards. Present fuel fill is in-starboard covering board adjacent to aft end of Motor box and what I call “L” bracket. Overflow is below on hull. Put it anywhere safe and convenient where you want if deck is out. 🤪Side tanks going work??? EarleyBird
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I think so on the saddle tanks. I had to get my side and stern floor platforms installed today so I could measure for the saddle tanks. It was late thirty when I got finished but will measure in the morning.

Jim, do you have a photo of your fuel fills?
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

Mine is in the same place as Jim's. That was from the factory. There is an advantage to having itnin the stern. You can easily get the fuel hose to it no matter which way you come into the fuel dock.

The disadvantage is you need to run a long line to the tank.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

What I'm not understanding is how you get from the fuel tank in the center of the boat to the side without crossing over/under the exhaust piping?

Mine is a wet exhaust so I suspect it doesn't get hot enough to create an issue for the diesel fuel but just curious as to routing on the fill hose.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ironworker you already did the right thing don't change it. fuel fill should be dead center of transom gunwale. the fill pipe goes down and 90 degrees across the top of the tank and dumps in the front of tank as far away as possible from fuel pick up to avoid air agitated fuel. most important is the fuel goes into the tank completely with air lock from over and under exhaust. i will loan you a fuel sniffer from EPA. it will read zero anywhere in the boat. no diesel smell ever as oppose to side fill hose that goes over and under exhaust .fuel smell comes from permeated fuel hose and connections due to sloshing fuel in the fuel fill pipping . remember it is always a little more difficult to achieve perfection in any endeavors you want to improve the 31 Bertram but this is the right thing to do and if you are anal with that beautiful teak covering boards like Bob H has on his boat you don't need to pull that filthy fuel hose over the port side of the boat across the deck to fuel the OEM. starboard fill.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

My old gas boat has the fill on the starboard gunnel about a foot or so aft of the motor hatch. Line goes straight down to a 90° at the chine and over to the inspection plate on tank. The fill line goes over the wet exhaust... that far back if the exhaust is hot enough to cause problems to the fill line you got Big problems.

I thought the idea of having the fill on the outer gunnel is if you overfill or spill the fuel goes overboard and not inside the boat. Although today with the stringent guidelines of a spill, it may be better to have fuel inside boat. FYI that's an attempt at a bad joke...especially with gasoline.

Wondering if your thinking of filling your tank from engine cover...go closer with filling from the inspection port..or add one with a fill. Lift cockpit hatch cover, open and fill. I'm really not a fan of the idea...but some saddle tanks get filled directly.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Bob,

Thanks for the input. The fill works great where its at but I've only put maybe a 100 gallons in the boat(which I hope to change shortly).

Carl, several people have mentioned the fuel spillage issue. I was considering hiding my fill valve under the engine cover near the starboard side. I was considering a large funnel cut to fit on the fuel hose and I would put baby diapers in the funnel to catch any fuel.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue