Gear Oil Analysis

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mark

Gear Oil Analysis

Post by Mark »

Just got results back on engine oil and gear oil analysis as part of survey. Engine oil was ok but only a few hours on oil Even though in motors for some time.

Both gears, ZF220, show a vey high copper content and it looks like the oil hasn’t been changed in some time. Rest of minerals are all within tolerance. Engine surveyor says probably just due to lack of change and to change it out and clean screens then run for 20 hours and then resample. To run the 20 hours means to buy the boat. A friend of mine who is also a mechanic agrees. It is possible the oil has been in since 2013 but the last 3-4?years the boat has hardly left the dock. Was supposed to be yard kept and have provided records. Trying to confirm when last changed.

Thoughts?

FYI...boat ran well during sea trial!

Motors are 6bta-5.9 270hp. Port hit 2675 rpm And stbd hit 2695 with 260-280 fuel and 5 adults

Thanks.
Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Carl

Re: Gear Oil Analysis

Post by Carl »

From my understanding without prior tests you have no idea when the wear took place.

20 hours is a long time to ask a buyer to use the boat...what about 10 hrs or 5.
If anything more then negligible amounts I'd have some concern.

Or you buy bankrolling a rebuild in the future.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Just spoke to ZF dealer and they had similar response. They said as long as all other minerals were in line, just need to change oil. He said they will show high copper contents during extended intervals. If iron was high or lead or salt, Then a problem.
Carl wrote: Or you buy bankrolling a rebuild in the future.
Carl - Exactly my concern!

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Carl

Post by Carl »

It can be a concern and a bargaining chip.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mark

I would try and get the price down a little more. Now if the buyer was smart, he would also talk to the ZF people, and if he did, then you would probably not be able to bargain. But remember, the guy already had one buyer walk, boat has been for sale for while, and he might just be ready to say goodbye to her. The longer he keeps it the more it costs him. Figure 3,000 a year to keep her on the hard, insurance then aggravation every time a buyer walks. That might be worth another 3 grand to the guy.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Everyone has what works for them.

In my head, if something is being sold as is...it is what it is.

Something being sold as turnkey and I find something questionable that experts say "should be fine".
Well, I know for me luck is not often on my side. Especially if its something I kinda know might be an issue and let go. Stuff like that ALWAYS comes back and kicks me in the butt...and kicks me hard.

If I'm in that situation and my purchase hinges on something like that...50/50. Split the cost of the part or repair is my counteroffer. If that don't fly, escrow the 50% and give me 20 hours of run time. If samples come back high again, we do the 50/50.
If it looks good the escrow is yours.

Anyway...maybe not what you were asking...but questionable leave me uneasy unless its something I can do myself or I am good with the rest of the package and don't mind eating the repair should it arise.