New to the site / High Tide window frames

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

BOBMX

New to the site / High Tide window frames

Post by BOBMX »

Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and just wanted to say hey. Just bought my first Bertram after owning 2 different Blackfins and a bunch of Albemarles. I have wanted a B31 forever and finally bit the bullet and bought the 1963 31 Sportfish listed on the site back in December. She's about 85% finished and I'm getting ready to start the next round to try to complete her over the next couple winters. I have it over with John at Whorton Creek and am looking at what we're going to do in the first round. By the way, John was great. I drove up to New York to check it out, called him and gave him my take and 3 days later he was there doing the same. Rest is history! Question I have for today is about windows. Has anyone used the High Tide Marine fiberglass frames? The kit looks great in the pics but if anyone has hands on experience it would be great.

Thanks,

Bob
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Welcome aboard, Bob. You've got three things going for you: a great boat, the folks at Whorton Creek, and the guys here. Although I've had no experience with the frames you mention, High Tide Marine consistently gets good reviews on this Board. Someone will jump in with a report. Best of luck with your project.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Welcome bob. What boat did you buy? When you get settled Ill bug you for more info on the north rip
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/posting.php? ... ply&t=8030

http://bertram31.com/parts/side_windows/index.html

Bob

Welcome to the site. Just ask a question and a bunch of guys will jump in and answer it.

Good luck with the new addition.

I can not speak for the window frames, you might want to check out the two links above. One is from the tips section and the other is a side window Kit Capt. Pat sells.

Also if Gerry Santiago jumps in he might be able to help since he has his eliminated the aluminum frames on his front windows. Not sure who's kit he used.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Thanks for the welcome guys. Peter, I bought the baby blue sportfish 2nd down on the left on the listings page. It says complete restoration with 0 hours. Actually had about 4 hours of sea trial time and is about 85% complete based on what I want to do, 95% if you just wanted to splash it. Anytime on the Northrip.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bob-

She looks great--congratulaions. Whorton Creek does great work. She's in good hands. Are you keeping her on the Bay? If so, I live on Kent Island, and will be looking forward to seeing her out this summer.

John F.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Saers boat that was over in Whitewater in Sayville. She is a real beauty with the majority of the work done.

The one open item on the boat to me was that the motors are mounted so far forward up against the bulkhead I can't imagine how you'd change a belt. What are your thoughts on that?
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Broadus Rose makes a nice one piece fiberglass replacement window frame. He sold a lot of them to 31 guys. His number is 252 723 2222. I think is web site is boatwindowframes.com.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

a good friend of mine bought saers fathers old 31 called no problem after he passed away, to bad the brothers couldnt get this one up and going, i know they did alot of work on her, best of luck bob
1968 hull # 316 - 757
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

They actually had two that they were working on at the same time. I don't know if they have any of them any more.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

I'm on the Severn River and spend alot of time fishing the bay and hanging out over at Kentmoor, Narrows and so on. I did notice it was tight up front on the install but I'm going to look closer at options after I run her. I have other questions on the install as well so I want to see it all and then make any changes that are needed. There were no back pressure numbers from the sea trial and it has 4" exhaust so that's a big question right now until we run her. Theres also no mufflers or check valves in line and I need to see how much I have above the waterline before the bend. I'm also not sure about the air intakes as they are gunnel mounts but all that all will unveil when we splash her. Mike, Pat Dickson did the install and said he did yours as well with the same set up and it runs great. Any comment? There are alot of questions surrounding the history of this boat during the 5 year process. I noticed in the restoration photos some discrepancies such as the exhaust hook ups differ from from beginning to end but with what I paid for it I cant go wrong even if I have to make some changes in the current set up. Thanks everyone for the window frame leads, I'll check them all out.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Pretty much everything Pat does is right....unless the owner insists on doing it wrong.

I run about 145 miles at 23 knots plus 7 hours trolling and burn 110 gallons of diesel. I have no mufflers, no check valves, but I do have surge tubes on both sides and I recommend that you add them if you don't have them.

4" is plenty for the 4LP Yanmar. Some guys stick with the 1 3/8" shafts but I went 1.5". There are no repair shops out in the canyon....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Do to the incorrect mounting of those yanmars (should have been mounted 6 inches from bulkhead ) for proper weight distribution on fbc but in this case 6cyl. Stp's need to have the belt driving the cam changed periodically.you need to cut a 2 foot square hole in front of the engines on both sides . There are also conventional v-belts instead of serpintine belts that must be service once a year.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bob, Welcome.
I have a '63 also but mine's an express. I am across the Bay, Rappahannock River, Carter Creek, Tides Inn. If I may be of assistance let me know. If you bought, basically, a running boat enjoy for a while and then finish renovations. I did a total renovation and in retrospect wish I had spent more time aboard on the Bay first. I would have done a few things differently.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Mike, did Pat change the air intakes on yours or do you still have the gunnel mounts? Bob, If I cant get to the belts I'd rather look at what I would have to do to remount the engines back a couple inches as the galley is butted up to the bulkhead. I really need to see just how tight it actually is as from what I've heard about Pat from several people I cant see him mounting them without being able to get to them. I had an old Gran Torino that I had to practically tear apart piece by piece to get to the water pump but it worked, it was just an all day affair. Mikey, It will be on the water this summer, definitely! I need a few things to run her but everything else will be winter projects, thanks for the offer.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this may be easier then you think. normally the refrigerator is mounted to the right in galley,if so not to hard to remove refrigerator to gain access to front of engines . port side is salon there should be a way to cut access with removable panel.moving the engines back will do a world of good in rough water keeps you bow proud. cut 6" of shafts and remove sent to harry babb and he can broach new keyway.as engine goes back also goes lower in bilge another plus (lower center of gravity).
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Bob, I notice you are from the same town as this boat. Did you ever board it?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

I modified the air intakes. I sealed them up. Best way to keep salt water off of my engines.....

The engines draw air from the bilge, and in ten years they have never seemed to gasp for breath. My side boards are scalloped on the bottom to allow for feet to go under them (a toe hold for fish fighting and peeing) and plenty of fresh air makes its way into the bilge.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bobmx,

I am no expert on engines but I did board that boat and take a look a few times. Also spoke to the guy that did some of the interior work.

My takeaway was either cutting access or remount the engines I don't think you have any other choice but open the hatch and measure it.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bob
do you have the 4 or 6 bangers the 4 are gear driven timing the 6 is a belt thats recommended to be change out every 1200 hrs i belive
1968 hull # 316 - 757
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

charlie the photo`s indicate 315hp stp`s . never go more then 1000hours.now you are the expert ,is it possible that 40lbs plus bass eat lobsters!!!!! thats what the guy in conn. is saying and how he targeted the new world record 80 pounder.he also had five 50pound plus.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yes bob they eat lobsters, crabs, i didnt see the picture of the boat and engine were is it
1968 hull # 316 - 757
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have taken 20-30 lb Bass wit small lobsters and lots of crabs in them. Now if he had a 10 lb lobster in it......
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

My PB Striped Bass had a legal size winter flounder jammed in her mouth. She was 51" and 49lbs when I put her back in the water.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

they love flounder to, and fluke
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

am i missing somthing because i cant find the link for the pics of bobs boat
1968 hull # 316 - 757
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Charlie, if you go to the listings page on the site it's the second listing down on the left. It's the baby blue sportfish that says complete restoration with 0 hours. All the restoration photos are there from start to finish.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

charlie my friend at the marina is friends with this world champ and he said he targets these big cows by using lobsters. when they get above 50lbs they become loaners and depend on the hearing rather then poor eyesight. he said he goes in the wee hours of the morning with no boat boat traffic what so ever and set his lobster crawling (live lining with lobsters) huh!!!! anyways he threw 5 50 pounders back in the pond to reproduce like our man tom now my hero! i just want to get my first forty then i can release after that one.
there is a link to the boat just scroll down to engine.bob king of the high jackers what the hell no formality here thank God.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

interesting thanks bob, you will need structure
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bob thank you for waking me up. lol
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

ok got it, looks like theres enough room to change the belt out, i wouldnt sweat it till the time comes, they did a nice restoration job. best of luck with her
1968 hull # 316 - 757
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Agreed. I just need enough room to squeeze in and do the job, doesn't have to be comfortable. If anything major has to come off they are easy to pull anyway. I'll measure it up as soon as I get a chance.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hi Bob,

Quite a thread you've got going here! It started as an inquiry about window frames, then moved through fishing and engine room space. Just wanted to be sure that you went online to: www.boatwindowframes.com and checked out the B-31 unit that Broadus Rose makes in Morehead City, NC (another member posted the site and # up the thread). Good luck with the project, and call me if I can help in anyway (I sent you a PM).

Tommy
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

Hey Tommy, I actually talked to them. They are making the sides and have several orders for fronts so they are working on a 2 piece mold. They said about 2 months they should be ready to offer a complete kit. I think these guys and High Tide are the only ones I've seen that offer fronts. Great that there's an option to get rid of the aluminum.
BOBMX

Post by BOBMX »

By the way, I didn't get the pm for some reason.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bob, call me sometime at my office (919-467-3400) if you have any questions about the Sportfish model; I'm on my third one. Tommy