25 Bertram L&H Conversion

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

25 Bertram L&H Conversion

Post by Pete Fallon »

To the faithful,
I just finished doing a survey on a 1965 25 Bert that was originally an open Mark II now an express bridge, with a single 315 Yanmar with aprop pocket. Beautiful job, aqua mist green hull, white express bridge and custom hard t-top, helm pod and custom console. The entire bridge deck area tilts forward for engine room access. Real pretty boat with a ton of money invested, some real nice ideas and custom workmanship. I'll try to get some pictures posted.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Pete does it look allot like a 27 tides?

You should see the 25 center console single outboard that John did(originator of L&H) there is also a 2 outoboard 25 being redone that's gonna be sick.

The 25 hull will be the next one I redo, very versatile, thinking jack drive diesel. Great boat.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
captbone

Post by captbone »

Any pictures of that single 25 CC outboard that John did? I think I have seen a single pictures and it was beautiful. Bracket with a single 200hp?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

One thing I always told my customers, given enough time and money I can do anything.

The trouble is when it comes time to sell, finding another loose wallet is tough as we have seen here by some real beauties going for much less than invested.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote: The trouble is when it comes time to sell, finding another loose wallet is tough as we have seen here by some real beauties going for much less than invested.

Investing in a boat is like Gambling to make money.

Sure some can be done by some...
John F.

Post by John F. »

If this is the boat I'm thinking of, it was originally listed for around $100K, and dropped to around $50K. Looked really great. She was on Yachtworld for awhile.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

theres one on
Boatdiesel.com
a very special 25...
could that b the same one?
Wayne
J Graham

Post by J Graham »

Wayne,
That's mine, got a cummins. No pocket. I've made some changes to the layout since that article. Just put in a bow thruster. Love the boat. I wondered about the performance of that 25 with the Yanmar and pocket.
Jim
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Oh now I remember.. the Cummins..gotta be sweet.. where you run her from?.getting about 3-4mpg?.Wayne
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

J Graham

Post by J Graham »

Whoa!!!!! Now that's a 25 Bertram
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Wow. Beautiful.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Now that's downright disgusting...guess they never changed the oil? Not a drop, speck, no nothing. Kick ass boat.

UV
captbone

Post by captbone »

Beautiful boat. It was for sale for a long time. How was the performance numbers? Why did it sit for so long?
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

$50k for that boat?

this is really a depressing market, someone will get a fantastic boat at that price

and thats the way a boat SHOULD look when its getting surveyed, never ceases to amaze me how disgusting some boats are when they are being sold/surveyed
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Wow - now that is something that had a LOT of money invested into it! And UV -- damn, I've been in brand new production boat bilges that were not as clean right from the factory!

Giving me some crazy ideas!
John F.

Post by John F. »

When I saw it listed, it wasn't rigged. No top, electronics, chair, etc. Still looks like a real lot of boat for the money. Just beautiful...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Beautiful boat but I don't like the fact that there is no seating anywhere.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Two man boat
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That is a steal at $50,000. Way nicer than a lot of some of the new production boats.

Peter

The only place you could add seating looks like forward of the console, but it is hard to tell if you have the room. The 31 spoils us because of the engine box's.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
randall

Post by randall »

clean or what?....and the white is WHITE. i like that.
Brewster Minton

The 31 spoils us because of the engine box's.
Ya my crew sleeps on them like Rip VanWinkle
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Brew

I have slept on the box's a number of times while overnighting. Not a bad place to sit or lay down. Best place to be in rough weather is right between them.

It is seating for four if you think about it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
I don't know where the 50K price came from but it's valued at way more than that. I love surveying a boat that's had a lot of thought and time invested in it, I watched this boat being done over for 4 months at L&H, they do high quality work and put a lot of thier input along with what the owner wants.
This boat has custom LED lighting on the T-top aft facing lights, 4 different color changes on recessed lights under T-top goes from white, blue,red and purple and a red/white light over the helm pod, white in the engine room and under the cockpit coaming. The seating it going to added later, a couple of dropdown jumps seats forward of the console and maybe a big cooler seat aft.
Electric rams for the helm pod and the engine room and a 5" Vetus bow thruster. The white paint is a 2 part epoxy that stays white for a long time, I'll post the paint makers name next week. The owner should be proud of this beautiful boat.
Pete Fallon

25 Bertram Conversion by L&H

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
The bright white paint in the engine room and other below decks areas is Sherwin Williams Diamond White, supposed to be better than Bilge Coat according to the guys at L&H.
Sea trialed the boat over the weekend, 30 knots WOT, mid 20's cruise, prop is not right, needs to be fiddled with. Nice smooth ride.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Wow .. what a difference after being rigged out.......

Does anyone else think that only 3 bolts holding the seat post down is a little weak..?
Especially sitting on that bump out...?? I would think the forces on that extension will be brutal in heavy seas..

Beautiful though..

Ray
Brewster Minton

I was thinking I want a place to put my feet to hold me in the helm chair when its snotty.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Pete:

Sherwin Williams Diamond White regular oil paint?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

if its that snotty i would be standing
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Dug

Post by Dug »

Wow... That is beautiful!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

raybo marine; how does one go about making a cover like this boat has over the electronics in front of the pod. can this be done without wood?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

bob lico wrote:raybo marine; how does one go about making a cover like this boat has over the electronics in front of the pod. can this be done without wood?
Glass over Dininycell...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you doctor. i assume in my case just match paint instead of the gel-cote routine. would you use mat on last layer or go to kitty hair knowing paint is not goung to cover the sins as well as gel-cote.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob,

If you were able to do a pop up for electronics behind the pod do you think you'd have enough room for rear facing jump seats on either side of the helm?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dumb Questions time - - as I have a 1966 B25 hidden away waiting for me to get better and bring her back to life, what is the draft of this even with the prop pocket, and can it be trailered? I was toying with the idea of a single diesel I/O, converting from the twin straight 6 i/os that are currently in her. I'm curious as to how much water this must draft.

Thanks,

Tom
John F.

Post by John F. »

Tom-

Scot who posts here and on the B25 site is redoing a 25 for a single diesel w/a prop pocket. You may want to check with him. Here's a link to his site where he shows the prop pocket work--lots of work.

http://www.cssims.com/

John
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

bob lico wrote:thank you doctor. i assume in my case just match paint instead of the gel-cote routine. would you use mat on last layer or go to kitty hair knowing paint is not goung to cover the sins as well as gel-cote.
If it were me, I'd do an exact mock up in plywood, fair and seal it well, then pull a simple mold.

Let the mold cure for a week to ten days and mold release it well. Then gelcoat the mold, build in the glass and Divinycell, pop it out and it's ready for paint after a light sanding.

If you build it as a one off, do the fairing in Awlfair at about 1/8" thick. See the technique that I suggested on JohnF's console post. Lay up can be all mat for something like this...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt patrick i have been using the awlfair technique since you advise me when i did the windshield job. i think it was even thicker on the inside bottom curve . not even a hairline crack anyware i used it!----thanks again
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

John: Thanks for the reply. I am more interested in going the inboard/outboard route and not having to do such extensive work. I don't have the time or patience!

Tom
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter i cannot be modest with my answer. i feel i have the best possible seating arrangement ever installed on a 31 bertram fbc. not my doing turn out fantastic .the ceo of todd/tracy and 5 other marine manufactorers is best friends with owner of marina. over a couple beers at the marina one night he said i will give you the reigns to the todd factory for a day!!!! the next day joe shows up and says "what do you want". i want two independant chairs with side arms to relax on the way to canyon.tall order----- nothing fit too wide by 4 inches. the solution; remove left arm from full size montauk series chairs then put two chairs together (like movie house seating)i did this and then put in a 5 stage shock absorber system. two very coftable chairs fit with1/4" to spare.i would never alter the bridge seating. that electronic pop up would nrver work for me i have two -c-120 raymarine series in addition to auto- pilot and vhf. that pop up was for a interior project .i try to planned a few months ahead and then jump in.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473