Quick fuel line question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scooter28

Quick fuel line question

Post by scooter28 »

I'm trying to install new ball valves and keep them within the blue tape square. Since thats the opening to my hatch and if they go outside the tape they wont fit under the floor. Anyways my question is should i use the same rubber fuel line that im plumbing the rest of the system with or would you recommend using copper like i tried already to use until i realized the valves wouldnt work in the location i originally had them. My reason for the copper was i've got plenty of it around and thought it might cut down on the number of barb fitting/hose clamps that i have to worry about. My biggest worryis looping the line around the way i've got the red lines going is almost 2ft. and im worried having the shutoffs that far away from the pickup. Any ideas or suggestions would be great thanks!

Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Why can't they be mated directly to the manifold with close pipe nipples? You can always put a block under them if you are worried about support. Or better yet, use bronze washers to shim between the valve and the manifold so that the shoulder of the valve sandwiches the washers firmly against the manifold. That way it will be like one solid assembly.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

This is my fuel set up.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Your can and probably should hard pipe your fuel shut-offs right to the fuel manifold.

Skipper dick shows a pair of nice and small shut-offs but the ones you have can be installed just the same.

Consider putting a 90 degree brass pipe elbow right at the manifold directing the flow in the basic direction you have already set it up so far.

Install the shut-off directly to the elbow. The second shutoff can,with a brass nipple, can be connected directly to the area of the hole on the manifold in the picture you shared with us.

It is always better to hard pipe elbows and have limited use of barb fittings if at all possible.

Eliminating barbs all together is the best but if you are to use bars and clamps use brand new clamps and limit there use like I stated above.

Good luck and fell free to ask any questions if you are not sure.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Scooter,

I used the parker marine pushlock hose and fittings, very easy to use, cut to length, good assortment of elbows and adapters. Makes nice gradual bends.
For main valve I used a moeller three way valve, both feed and return lines run through one valve, allowing you to choose main or saddle tank as well as off position. Cut down on on number of valves by 2/3. Using this system I made the valve very accesible.

1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Mike Moran

post subject

Post by Mike Moran »

very neat great job
coolair

Post by coolair »

Bob you really have done a beaustiful job. please remind me, you faired and awlgriped your bilge?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Beautiful......your quite a plumber

hb
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

racors in the hole great idea were did you get that from!! oh boy another rocket ship in the makings . great job no barbs in fuel system with uscg approved hose. your bertram can even pass a coast guard inpection for" passenger carry or hire." incidently the racor in the hole had the same performance value as the strake alignment for the entire hull with struct fairing .fuel temperature should never exceed 70 degrees F. at fuel injection pump.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, took two or three attempts to get it just right...Matt, Yes I am nuts , I mean yes I did fair and awlgrip the bilge...Bob Lico Im adding all those extra knots youve gained me on this project...going to be a fun ride..You keep talking and I keep listening...rocket props next??BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

oh boy NOT the rocket props . 30 knot cruise at 18-19 gph .i will give complete details to you and harry at greenport.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Fished the Toms yesterday ran out at 16 kts. Came home at 18 kts. Boy I'm happy I got all this extra horsepower!?!

Best for the day was 25 kts at 2200 and 16 gph. Just need to get a tweaked set of wheels and the speed will come. When all the boats are done the speeds with the same wheels regardless of fuel set ups in approved installations will be within 2.5 kts.

My biggest consumer is the genset at .6 gallons per hour.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

JP if not the speed actually the same speed at a lower rpm. really looking to do 24 knots at a shade over 2000rpm. excellent fuel encom.i was not to far from you and then the wind was kicking up on the way home . ran back at 28kns with a less then happy face .i wired a 11' hammerhead shark with a inexperiane crew. never knew hammerhead jump out of the water!!!! we also release a 6' mako because the owner could not tailrope nor his partner lame attemp with harpoon. 6 sharks release i used fresh bluefish ,filet with backbone removed and sew up . hook and stinger hook
did the job.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scot

Post by scot »

Really nice work Bob. The faired, awlgrip work is eye candy, but the best part is easy cleaning! That area will be very easy to clean and stay sharp for years.

I glassed and painted my last boat's bilge. Dirt gets down in the glass pattern and is a bear to scrub out and keep clean, stains as well. With the smooth finish you just wipe it right off. The ease of cleaning will make you glad you made the extra effort.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Follow-up question regarding the push lock fittings.

I thought fuel fittings needed to be clamped? This is far cleaner of an install.

Where did you buy the hose and fittings?

Part numbers?

Thanks!

Ian.