Solution-de-jour...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Solution-de-jour...

Post by CaptPatrick »

I've always been troubled by the fact that water can just drain wily-nilly between the engine box and deck, reeking havoc on the transmission and creating a never ending job of drying up.

Today's solution to the problem was to design a permanent, (or could be a semi-permanent), shield that will prevent any water intrusion, even when hit with a wash down hose...

Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

I fiberglassed a 1" high lip across the edge of the deck (where your arrow is pointing). it runs from the side of the engine box, all the way to side of the hull. The only water that sneaks in would drip outside the engine bed, and into the bilge.
randall

Post by randall »

my engine boxes, reinstalled (well they're sittin in the right place) today, sit on a lip that catches all the water and transfers it to drain holes on the outboard side of the stringers. works well. ill post some pictures after i reinstall the hinges. i filled all the old holes with epoxy after i over drilled em....see patrick....i'm paying attention.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Haven't tried this yet but thought about putting a piece of window gasket (sticky-back closed-cell foam) between the box and deck. I have Cabrera's decks and boxes so the deck turns up and is 1 1/2 inches above the deck level. However wash down and rain allow water to sneak in and do exactly what you describe. Let you know when I try it. Soon I hope.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein