Fire in the hole!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Fire in the hole!

Post by Mikey »

After five years of sitting I have finally gotten to that point. Re-installed the injectors, new oil, new fuel, bled the system according to Vic's simple rules, added plenty of deororant-destroying high anxiety and they both fired right up. WHEW! God bless Cummins. What a great sound. Killed mosquitoes for miles around. All instruments came to life. What a day.
Now, the bad news. My port ZF has an oil leak at the rear end, not at the seal. It appears (although I will need to remove layers of paint to be sure) that it is coming from one of the two short (1/4"?) tubes that run diagonally across the back. So now I have several questions before I panic. How do I get a manual? If it is the tubes, can they be replaced by my with the tranny in the boat? Can I do this job? Where do I go from here?
HELP!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mikey,

Congratulations!!!! Feels good doesn't it! Once again, congratulations!

Dug
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Mikey,
That is great, great news about your engines coming to life. Glad to hear your guages are working too. Not only is your wiring pretty, but it works too!!

I remember some time ago that Bruce or UV mentioned that those tubes were weak spots because they can rust or something. I wonder if I am remembering that correctly.

If that's the case, you should go ahead and put trolling valves in while you are in them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

-Chiles
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Way to go Mikey!!! The tubes are not a big deal to change....they have o-rings too. They are held in place with a clamp and one allen head screw. They are high carbon steel and will rust out quickly if not kept painted and CX-ed. But it may just be an o-ring.

I have manuals for the 220As on the boat, but someone told me they were on line somewhere.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Go Mikey!!! Yea!! What a relief! If you bring the new ones over here I can put a little POR15 paint on them so you never have to worry about them again.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Yeap, that's what UV said some time ago.

Why is it that I can remember what UV wrote well over a year ago, but can't remember what my girlfriend told me yesterday?!?

I may have to get her to start posting her "honey-do's" on this site. :)

-Chiles
In Memory of Vicroy

Mikey - look on the ZF site, www.zf.com and go to 'marine' then 'transmissions single speed' then 'pleasure duty' and click on the 220A and there are some downloads and a real good pix of the rear of the gear where you can see the two little tubes and the clamp allen screw.

UV
Capt. Mike Holmes

Firing up

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Mikey, glad to hear you fired them up. It probably wasn't ever a question of if they would crank, just when. The tranny deal is probably real minor. My only worry would be the electrical system. Anything that looks that good just cannot work as well as wires running willy-nilly with oil and grease all over everything!
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Mikey; Way to go. Glad to hear all is well and the engines are alive.
Trans should not be that much of a prob. Go see The Big R.
Chris
John F.

Post by John F. »

Go get 'em Mikey. That's gotta' be great to hear those diesels after all the time and effort. Congrats.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Thanks guys. Got to tell you I stared with the starboard engine because it was the easiest to access. Of course being an express the controls are right above the starboard engine. So . . . with the engine box open I straddled the box and engine and when it started the noise scared me so badly I immediately hit the ignition switch and killed it.
Told a friend about it after telling him about the tranny leak which I discovered from the brown trail in the bilge. His reply was that the brown trail came from my excitement. Could be.
Now if the tranny problem is as I suspect where does one buy ZF parts? Can't find it on line.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
In Memory of Vicroy

Mikey - try:

Marine Transmission Center (part of Mack Boring) 800 709 0673, www.marinetransmission.com

There is a place in Lake Charles, La. that stocks a ton of ZF stuff but they did not have an ad in this week's B&H. I threw my old B&Hs away today cleaning up the shop, but usually there are a half dozen gear shops that advertise there and handle ZF parts. Go on the marine gear section of zf.com and they have a dealer locator page.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thats good news Mikey......Give yourself an "Attaboy"
5 years..........thats a long time.........once again persistence wins

Harry Babb
hb
scot

Post by scot »

Why to go Mikey...I know what a 5 year project is like and it is nice to hear engines fire up. Unfortunately I didn't learn my lesson and I'm in another 4-5 year re-do.

UV, I work in Lake Chuck and need the name of the ZF parts outlet... if you run across it, do they advertise in B&H?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mikey,
After a few hours of dock running do a valve check and/or adjustment before sea trialing. Cold engine of course.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bruce,
Learned my lesson years ago racing Porsches. No valve adjustment, no start. Did it last week. Thanks.
Vic,
Will check your sources. Need to get a copy of B&H. Been saying this as long as I've been saying join boatdiesel.com. Finally did that and it has helped heaps.
Aircleaners from Tony and I think the engines will be ready.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein