Rudder Jam nut size

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Captmas

Rudder Jam nut size

Post by Captmas »

Hello all
Anyone know the size of the jam nut and rudder packing cap on a 76’ 28 Bertram? Not near the boat to measure it and picking up a plumbers adjustable wrench. Also has anyone tried using a plumbers combo slip nut wrench on them? We have a custom tank so space is a problem.
Thanks
Mike
Tooeez

Re: Rudder Jam nut size

Post by Tooeez »

On my 79 the factory used long bolts on the rudder mounting bases; the threads stuck up above the nuts halfway up the stuffing box, forming a kind of cage around the stuffing box and making getting any wrench on the locknut just about impossible. When I redid the rudder shelves I cut the bolts flush with the nuts, but there is still very little room to swing a wrench. I finally settled on using an 18" pipe wrench to tighten the packing cap, and a large set of channel lock pliers to set the jam nut. They surely aren't the proper tools to use on hex nuts, but nothing else I tried had the flexibility to fit in the confined space and engage the nuts.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I really can't use a wrench on mine as there is no room to swing one. Pipe wrench is real tight too...

What I use is a Chain Strap wrench...its a one size fits all for many things boat related. For that reason I keep one in my boat tool bag.
FYI- some Bolt Buster or similar penetrating oil sprayed on a few days early along with a couple wraps with a hammer on the jam nut can help get things moving.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/ ... gJR5vD_BwE

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/ ... gIUG_D_BwE
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Is there any advantage of one chain wrench over the other?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes, the one that looks like a vise grip with a chain, it locks just like a vice grip, holding whatever is being strapped. Its great for clamping things to round or odd shaped parts, you can combine two of them for greater reach or use as handles to turn or lift objects. Its also nice as the tool does not bite into the surface...delicate surfaces you can cover with a rag not to mark or clamp over emery paper for greater bite. Tool equally distributes the clamping pressure so its great for slender items. We use alot when we heat bushings so they expand to slide over shafts. Down side is it can take up space, slick surfaces it can slip.

The other one is less costly but also needs less space to work...kinda sorta. That one works similar to a pipe wrench were the teeth dig into the work surface and the chain is used hold the tool against the work. The more pressure you put on, the more the tool bites in, great for stubborn parts...but they can get marked up. If you need to work a part back and forth...you need to turn the tool around as it only goes in one direction. Longer body gives more leverage. Delicate slender objects get dented or crushed as the pressure all goes to the pivot point...AKA oil filters are a cinch to loosen...unless on really tight then the tool crushes the housing.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

So then it is worth having both tools. I will have to add them to the tool box.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Carl,

Thanks for the link. I used to have a set of those years ago when I worked on my tools in a valve shop. They are handy. I need to get a set for the boat/shop.

And thanks for this tip.
clamp over emery paper for greater bite
Never thought of that but it makes perfect sense.

Danny
Carl

Post by Carl »

Daniel,

They are one of those tools that come in real handy when nothing else works.

The emery trick comes from trying to take heavier cuts on thin wall parts in a lathe. Chuck only holds so much when clamped lightly...use emery and I can push a bit harder for less cycle time. That said...when it's stuck so bad you can't get it to budge with a chain strap...using emery is only marginally better, but if it's your job it works on...who cares, it worked!
Captmas

Post by Captmas »

Thanks for the reply.....picked up a adjustable plumbers wrench used for the sink trap nuts ...going to see it that works.....also we are cutting back two of the bolts so we have better access
Thanks
Mike
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

If you can not get them at your local supplier, Harbor Freight does have the cheap version.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Carl,

Actually I was thinking non-boating stuff. I do a bit of remodeling and I was thinking about chromed plumbing fixtures like threaded shower head extensions & tub spouts. Channel locks=scratches so add a cloth to protect them & sometimes there is just not enough ‘grab’ to get it that last 1/8th of a turn to get them to line up. Your emery cloth idea might be the fix. Anyway, something more to put in the bag of tricks. I agree, if I’m standing on a 3’ cheater pipe trying to loosen some 2-1/2” galvanized screw pipe, the emery cloth trick might not add much. Lol.

Mike,

Good luck with your jam nut. If I remember right I used the same pipe wrench/large channel lock set up that Tooeez mentioned above, but I have a different boat so I had a little more room around mine. You might give a try with the plumbers combo slip nut wrench, but the versions of that tool I have seen in the past didn’t look like they would hold up to putting much torque on the nut. But it can’t hurt to give it a try.
Carl

Post by Carl »

DanielM wrote:Carl,

Actually I was thinking non-boating stuff. I do a bit of remodeling and I was thinking about chromed plumbing fixtures like threaded shower head extensions & tub spouts. Channel locks=scratches so add a cloth to protect them & sometimes there is just not enough ‘grab’ to get it that last 1/8th of a turn to get them to line up. Your emery cloth idea might be the fix.
They also sell non marring, rubber strap wrenchs. Nice on smooth slick items as the rubber grabs the surface like sticky tires on a road...down side is they are somewhat elastic and stretch.
The cheaper ones use a less sticky, harder synthetic kind of rubber strap.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in- ... /300117125

Or use a chain strap over rubber.
The emery trick is good...but won't bite into a chromed surface well enough to really grab...but will sure scratch very well if and when it slips.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Daniel

You can also purchase Channel locks that are rubber coated. Made just so they do not scratch chrome nuts. Or you could get a can of plastic dip and just dip the jaws of the pliers in it to coat them so they don't scratch.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Thanks Guys, sounds like a much better method.

Not a bad sandbox Capt. Pat set up. All kinds of good info
Captmas

Post by Captmas »

Ended up cutting off the two bolts and using a cut down adjustable plumbers pipe worked well