Rudders Slow Trolling

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Keith Poe

Rudders Slow Trolling

Post by Keith Poe »

Can you tell me about slow trolling one motor and rudder size and behavior with a decent AP will it hold course stock rudder or would massive be better or will it work at all ?

Currently i have a problems with a I/O in seas off shore trying to stay on course maintain 2-3 knots max with out the aid of a drogue.

The 7.4 Mercruiser MPI burns about 1 gallon per hour at idle any information on gallons per hour for the 4BT in the 31-B single motor ?

I'm guessing the port or starboard motor depending on sea state would help aid in maintaining a courses under way using one or the other?
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
In Memory Walter K

Re: Rudders Slow Trolling

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I troll on my starboard engine at about 3 kts. My rudders are the larger teardrop shaped shaped one, but I would recommend Captain Patrick's bigger ones. If you have an autopilot, it can keep you on track even at higher speeds. Mine is a 31 Sportsfisherman with 210 Cummins.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Tried trolling for rock at 2 knot on one engine. Even dragging two five-gallon buckets couldn't do less than 3.5. Staying on course was no problem even with original (larger) rudders, but couldn't go slow enough for the fish to catch me. Thought about a trolling valve on one engine. Anyone try that?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Mikey wrote:Tried trolling for rock at 2 knot on one engine. Even dragging two five-gallon buckets couldn't do less than 3.5. Staying on course was no problem even with original (larger) rudders, but couldn't go slow enough for the fish to catch me. Thought about a trolling valve on one engine. Anyone try that?

Tease are about 15 bucks at depo & lowes empty and will slow you way down.
I use a swivel to deal with the spinning.
I thin they are rated at about 1250#
http://cache.vendaria.com/integration/i ... _100318376" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: I can get you a big bulk grain bag free that is like what Keith posted only bigger. 4x4x4 or bigger. May be too big though, but it is free.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Rawleigh wrote:Mikey: I can get you a big bulk grain bag free that is like what Keith posted only bigger. 4x4x4 or bigger. May be too big though, but it is free.

i think the gravel bag is about 3x3x3 maybe made of nylon ?

Rawleigh do you know the weight rating on the grain bag ? any chance you have a link for them ?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I think Bob Lico put in a trolling valve on one engine.
Diego

Post by Diego »

I have Capt. Pats oversized rudders on my boat, and with my Volvo D4-300 I slow troll live bait with my starboard engine and am able to keep a good heading while keeping the speed under 3 knots. Its about 2.5 without any current.
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Keith Poe wrote:
i think the gravel bag is about 3x3x3 maybe made of nylon ?

Rawleigh do you know the weight rating on the grain bag ? any chance you have a link for them ?
Keith: I do not, but I have a couple of them at my farm, so i will investigate and report back.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

440's with original rudders and Si-Tex AP. No problems slow trolling one motor in moderate seas...Snotty with Wind, let say we get a nice zig-zag working till AP has enough and shuts down. I usually have enough time to put a line or two out before I having to grab wheel for a minute or so to get back on path.

You may be able to run a low enough pitch wheel to get down real slow, not familiar with 4BT setup.

I hate tossing a line and drouge out the back when trolling...I know it's just a matter of time before some idiot bumps boat into gear when fighting a fish or getting hung up on the bottom. I usually fish alone, so chances of not having him aboard are slim...