B31 Capacity

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mack

B31 Capacity

Post by Mack »

Can't believe I am aksing this since I am now in the 8th season of owning the boat...

I am taking a group out this week to watch the Blue Angels perform for the Naval Academy's commissioning week. The group has balooned to about 10 adults. I've had as many as 6 adults and 6 small children on the boat for a St. Mike's cruise and it didn't seem to be a problem.

We are only going to go about a mile or two into the Severn river so seas/weather won't be an issue. Should be o.k. but just wanted to get other opinions. Boat is relatively light, no top, tower or outriggers.

On a side note, I just finished restoring/upgrading both insturment panels. Should be posting a before/after shortly. Thanks for everyone's help in providing their $0.02 on the project.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have had ten on mine and they all lived.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ask UV about AJ & the run down to the UVI with 12 guys and a ton of gear. Well over 1,500 lbs of additional weight, full fuel tank, coolers full of ice and food/beer, and almost no change in cruise speed & RPM...

Just keep 'em from all ganging up at the transom so your scuppers don't go under water.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Thanks!

I was thinking scuppers as well.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
randall

Post by randall »

there was a little metal plate on my 25.....legal occupancy......16.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Just have enough life vests for when the coast guard boards you...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i with russ and i have had 18 on board . six ladies sat in the cabin and the cummins power had no idea 18 were aboard to fire island about 4 miles across bay.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

I'll be over there probably Wednesday on the B20. Where are you going to anchor up?
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Michael

Post by Michael »

I have had 15 adults in my B25, didn't even feel it. If anthing the boat rode better with the extra weight. Boat planed off as normal and achieved very close to normal speed/rpm base lines.
I would think 16 in a B31 would be no problem at all.b
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Hell Pat we carried 1500 lbs worth of booze easy, another 250lbs of boudain before we got to gear and bodies.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

That 1,750 lbs is considered normal coonass loading... Coupling them together brings the load up to 3,200 lbs. Vic's exhausts were under water when we pulled away in Venice.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mack,

The guys have nailed it: a PFD for each person on board, and then it's simply weight distribution management. I had 14 on board one time with no problems.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hmmmm...I remember 13 guys including some Jumbos (you know who you are) and I guess I was pretty amazed that the 6BTAs pushed all of us & the gear the same as no load.

I'm trying to find out how the rebuild of Port Eads is coming along...word was the BP oil spill set it back some - all the workers were making better pay working on the spill. We need to do that deal again before we all can't. Mo' boudin.

I suspect you could predtty much pile as many people as you want on a B31 without compromising the stability.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I suspect you could predtty much pile as many people as you want on a B31 without compromising the stability.

Pat,
that brings to mind the story of the house boat on Lake Travis and the nude beach bathing.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Coulda' gone all night without that image in my mind...
In Memory of Vicroy

Or you two guys shooting seagulls from the Bagel Barge with a .40 Glock...

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Sig Sauers.... Different story.

Lake Travis is near Austin. Seems there was a nude beach on the north shore. A double deck houseboat with a large party aboard cruised by the nude beach, all the passengers rushed to the side to see the show.

Yup, they capsized the sucker... (pun intended)
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You forgot to mention it was a cruise of Judy Garland fans...... and what they were looking for was more nude Judy Garland fans on the beach.

Thats about as PC as I get.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Bruce - "PC?" Surely, you jest - you've never been more serious, and don't call you Shirley!

I bet they had a Cher CD playing while they were looking for Judy Garland?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mack: There is a formula in Chapman's for figuring out capacity. It seems to me that the last time I figured it out it was more people than I would ever want on board - 14 or 15 at least.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Mack,

I'm not sure about capacity, but I know me, Doug & Harv in the back of a detroit powered B31 is something that shouldn't be done for very long...

btw, looks like Wednesday's canceled and the flyover on Friday at graduation may be as well...

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2011/05/n ... w-052311w/

br,
JohnD
Mack

Post by Mack »

Yep. I remember that story, which is probably why in the back of my mind I was initially concerned. Doug's boat was/is one of the heaviest B31s I've ever seen.

Bummer on the fly over. Saw the press release earlier today. Would rather have them get it right than see a 500 mph crash close up.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

"We need to do that deal again before we all can't."

Amen. I even miss the pirate like adventure of the travel to and from Port E.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The memories linger on...I don't think any of us realized then how special those days were. Special isn't a good enough word to describe them.
In Memory of Vicroy

Walter - I sent you a PM about cX, give me a shout, royvictor@cox.net

yeah, those were some really good times...one of my favorites was Capy offering to bring a pup tent and sleep on the bank.....bank, what bank?

UV
Harv

Post by Harv »

JohnD wrote:Mack,

I'm not sure about capacity, but I know me, Doug & Harv in the back of a detroit powered B31 is something that shouldn't be done for very long...

btw, looks like Wednesday's canceled and the flyover on Friday at graduation may be as well...

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2011/05/n ... w-052311w/

br,
JohnD
John, You forgot to include my dad as well.
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

I had 10 onboard plus a kayak lashed to the transom gunwale. Funny thing is it started to rain and the only thing in the cockpit was the kayak. Just ask Dick Dean....................
Harv
capt2kids

Post by capt2kids »

Hello:
Last year I filled up the fuel tank, and with 3208t's, the exhaust was already under water. I then had 5 adults and 2 chests loaded with ice, plus all the other things you need for a tournament.
I was scared to death to see how the boat was going to handle. It was my first year with the boat.
I call a spade a spade, if it handled badly, i would admit it, but it handled, much to my surprise, like it was empty. The seas were moderate, and there were no issues. I was a believer after that.This weekend i have the same bluefish tournament, and have confidence now.
Have a great week everybody.
bob k
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

John, You forgot to include my dad as well.
Harv, I was just thinking of us 3 at the stern. Fishing with you and your Dad are some great memories. Hopefully life will straighten out a little and we can fish agan soon.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have had my Sportsfisherman with Chrysler 440's and with Cummins 6bt's. I would fish one weekend with my son an fuel up on our return, and the next weekend with 6 big guys, coolers with ice and all sorts of crap and fill up again on our return. Went to the same Loran numbers for both, same amount of time on the water with both. BIG difference in fuel consumption. Doing the same thing with the Cummins, no difference at all, nada, same fuel consumption. Therein lies the difference.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

walterk wrote:I have had my Sportsfisherman with Chrysler 440's and with Cummins 6bt's. I would fish one weekend with my son an fuel up on our return, and the next weekend with 6 big guys, coolers with ice and all sorts of crap and fill up again on our return. Went to the same Loran numbers for both, same amount of time on the water with both. BIG difference in fuel consumption. Doing the same thing with the Cummins, no difference at all, nada, same fuel consumption. Therein lies the difference.
You have to love those diesels.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315