No complaints here

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

No complaints here

Post by Harry Babb »

The past week or so has been simply beautiful weather here on the Gulf coast. Highs in the 70's comfortable humidity and low at night in the 50's.

Today I noticed a load of yellow pollen on my truck, the oak leaves are falling and spring is all around us.

Next week is gonna take a dip back into the 30's at night but spring is fighting its way into our area of paradise.

I expect to see Robins flying within the next week or so.

We paid our Winter Dues.....bring on the summertime

hb
hb
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

That's great Harry. We just got another 6 inches of snow in Marblehead, MA. I gotta move.
Regards,

Doug L.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

keep the robbins away from uv, hit 51 today up here, hope to start cleaning the boat in the next couple of weeks
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, Now you can open that door a send us some of that spring stuff...had enough plowing for this year...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Doug...

Come on down!

It was 71F today, beautiful.. yesterday was the same. Spent both days working on the boat is jeans and a tee shirt!

Frank B
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Thanks Frank. I'm heading down to see Tim in Naples in a couple of weeks.
Regards,

Doug L.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Okay boys.....the south door is open......GET READY! ! ! !

Sanded more today.....have ALL of my bottom epoxy and bottom paint here and ready.....will paint the deck with in the next few weeks......

Gotta get the painting done before the LOVE BUGS show up.

Getting my second wind for the 22nd time........this one may be the charm.....

hb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, Having fun with that bottom sanding? I know better...keep at it my friend...you can do it....spring time makes us all feel better...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob
I have been sanding on the deck. Not far from being ready for paint. I have ALL of the bottom epoxy and antifoulant paint sitting in my office. Looking at the recommended timeline on bottom painting it looks like I don't need to start the final bottom painting until about 2 weeks or so before "Splash Day".

Saturday afternoon Chris and I did the final engine alignment. Both engines are anchored down hard and fast, all systems are hooked up and nearly complete.....I am going to redo my seawater intakes and add crash valves.

Now its time to face what I dread the most.....fill fair and paint. The good thing is that I am getting excited once again

hb
hb
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

How about some pics?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Brewster Minton wrote:How about some pics?
I know you got it bad when you ask to see pics of Harrys bottom...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

That is starting to look good. Love those Stainless Struts. Did you also make up stainless rudder ports?

Before you know it you will be in the water.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Lookin' good Harry!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

reverse turbo installation on port engine -----nice inovation to avoid 360degree sweep, offset air intake nice harry nice. i guess my long conversation with you was applied to the extended and glassed shaftlog -----excellent.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Harry, very nice.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Gotta admit...one nice bottom!!

Looking good!! It won't be long now...

I hate those Aluminum Pilister fillers...next time the aluminum blisters thru the paint I make in fiberglass.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harry did you make those structs or are they jusy modified (contoured and streamlined flange)?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob Lico wrote:harry did you make those structs or are they jusy modified (contoured and streamlined flange)?
We did fabricate the struts Bob. Used 316L Stainless Steel. We used plate and bar and a whole buncha arc gouging and grinding.

You like??

hb
hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Tony wrote:Did you also make up stainless rudder ports?
Tony
I used the original rudder ports. They were worn "Egg Shaped" so we chucked them in a lathe and bored out the fits until they were round. The wear was heavy on one side. The original bore on the bottom was 1.5" and by the time we got it cleaned up and round the new bore size was 1.565". From there I made my rudder shafts oversize to fit the oversized rudder ports.

On the top of my rudder shafts....above the square.....I added a 15/16" diameter area that will ride in a bearing. I tried to take a pic yesterday and post it here but the pic would not load correctly. Will try again later.

I am getting there, but simply cannot believe how much I have drugg my butt on this project.....DeNada has been "On the Hard" for 3 years 3 months and 2 days now......no bull.....that's an accruate number! ! !

I don't see how the average bear survives without a full machine shop/welding shop at their disposal complimented by a morale support group of Bertram 31 buddies with a whole list of boat building/cooking/fishing/mecanincal/and bull skit...skills to keep them motivated.....LOL

hb
hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Upper Rudder support pic.....when installed the shaft protrudes thru the bearing shown in the pic and a locking nut threads onto the shaft, supporting the weight of the rudder. This should take a big load off of the rudder port.

hb
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i think they are the cats ass . truly a fantastic machine shop work of art. you know and i know there are a hold lot of critical angles that are part of this job.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Damn Harry, now you just plain showing off. But I'zzz sure like those props as you will too. Looking good Harry, will you come do my bottom too? hahaha! :) :wink:

Doug
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Doug wrote:Looking good Harry, will you come do my bottom too? hahaha! :) :wink:
Bout time to meet at Cobalts and talk about it.....might even get Kelly and Kipp in on the conversation.

hb
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

The rudder port set up looks slick. When you have a machine shop to use there is almost nothing you can't do.

You went way further into your project than I did, and it still took me two years of weekends, mostly summer to get in the water and I still have odds and ends to do. Then after that I need to think about the Cabin.

God it doesn't end. But in the end it is all worth it. Just watch Dug's video he posted.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harry, just let me know when.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, Lookin good...and youve had em running to boot..you know its been a long winter when the boys are lookin at your bottom pics...
Love the rudder support bearings...Denada is going to be quite a sleeper..pull up along side a new Grady and walk away from them, leave em scratching their heads, what the hell....saw it first hand on Brews boat goin to get the rendevous chow...PRICELESS...BH
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

Count me in Harry. I can bring you pictures of how I did my rudders on the B25.

-Kel
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Sounds good Kelly....

How that YOUNGERN doing???? Asked to borrow the Bertram yet???.....LOL

I am sure you and Janine are having a ball.....

hb
hb
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

Audrey's doing fine, Harry. Growing like a weed. She's just now trying to say mama and dada, but I'm tryin' to teach her how to say "captain". Most kids her age are busy shaking rattles, but Audrey seems to have more fun with my billfish tags. I caught her getting into my unrigged rubber skirted lures the other day. Gonna be tough to leave her at the dock before long.