B20 Winter Project - Center Console

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

B20 Winter Project - Center Console

Post by John F. »

The Anna E. is enjoying the warm waters of Florida, and I needed a project to help me get over her going. So, I measured out and started to build a console for the B20 moppie O/B that in the next year or so will become a center console. The console fits me and the boat--right height, etc. for me, right width and length for the boat. The B20 will be kept as simple as possible. Lots of work on the console still to do. Trying to decide whether to buy a console door or make one--big door on the side.

Thought we needed some winter project pictures up.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Very cool.
scot

Post by scot »

Nice job John,
The console fits me
..that's what counts, it's your boat.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Mack

Post by Mack »

I am willing to bet that B20 will have a console mounted onto it by May or June.

Thanks again for the air scoops. Let me know if you all head to AC for the boat show next month.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Great job on that John. What's the layout going to be for seating, any room for in front of console like Whaler style?
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks guys. Rocky--good question. Haven't quite figured it out yet. Here's how she is now--a B20 Moppie with a transom mounted 200 Yamaha.

I have a leaning post for her already. I want 3' behind the leaning post, and if I leave the moppie deck as is, I'll have 32" between the console and what was the dashboard. Without the windshield, and the antennas moved and the hatch gone, she'll look kinda' like a baby express. And, if I leave the full fore deck, I'll have alot of storage and less room in the boat--barely enough for a cooler seat in front of the console. Leaving as is also is less glass work. So, I can leave as is, or cut the deck back as far as flair of the bow allows, or somewhere in between. Any suggestions?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

The boats look great, but I have to say, that setting looks so peacefull. Looks like a great spot to live.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

John-Have you considered a side rather than center console? Makes for a lot more in boat mobility in a small boat. Just a thought. Walter
Buju

Post by Buju »

John,
I'm doin the same to my moppie (CC) and also contemplated the fordeck quite a bit.
What I ended up doing was using the forward portion of the bow hatch as the beginning of the cockpit. I measured and roughly drew two lines from the hatch corners to where the gunnels met the helm/dashboard with a gentle radius. Tried to follow the hull to sole joint from above...
Then took a carbide blade to it.
It's still in it's rough cut condition, but I think it'll work out pretty good. Going to use some long strips of D.cell to build the coaming and bridge the gap.

Could post some horror pics later if it'd help you visualize if ya like it or not.

Nice woodie console btw... you gonna glass over it or just coat the holyhell out of it?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Bertramp

Re: B20 Winter Project - Center Console

Post by Bertramp »

[quote="John F."]The Anna E. is enjoying the warm waters of Florida,

Where in FLA did it wind up ??

.....and what a gorgeous set-up you have there !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

buju i would love to see a photo in the rough. i gave my son a 20' bertram that is still on the back burner looking for a desigh. he does not want the moppie as is and i will do the glass work with him as soon as he finds something he likes. i have all kinds of inexpensive power options like 350hp yamaha/300 susuki or mercruiser 525hp/ speedmaster i.o. at the yard but will leave that open.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

Walter- Side console is interesting idea--lots of small side consoles here in the Chesapeake. I'm going to stick with a center. She doesn't have tabs on her now, and I generally stand in the middle of the boat when I'm running. I can trim here side to side by moving over a foot or two each way. She's pretty sensitive to side-to-sdie weight.

Buju- Pics would be great. The console is 1/2" marine ply, coated with thinned West and then a coat of unthinned. All the seams are taped on the inside. I'll fair it again, do one layer of cloth, fair it again and paint. That's the plan anyway.

Bertramp- The Anna E. is somewhere in Ft. Lauderdale. I think the new owner's brother works at American Yachts and she may go there.

Thanks for the comments about the location. Its been a nice place to live/raise kids. Any of the faithful that wind up in the Annapolis/Kent Island area are welcome to stop by anytime.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Good winter project.

Some food for thought: A plywood design like this needs to be glassed completely , both inside and out to fully lock it down. The exterior can be a fairly light weight skin, but 2 layers of light weight 0/90 cloth would better insure against joint cracking.

The interior should be fully glassed and a heaver weight cloth, or more than 2 layers of the same glass used on the exterior should be used.

If you can, figure out and cut in all of the openings, round over the edges, and glass everything in at once. Build in a full circumference ledger into the inside base, about 1" thick and 1 1/2" wide, so that your bolt/bed down to the deck will all be inside. Caulk both inside and out around the perimeter.

Allow your exterior epoxy/glass to cure for a couple of weeks before base sanding and then fairing. The best fairing compound is Awlfair, with a finished thickness of 1/16" - 1/8", followed with 3 coats of 545 primer, finished with paint of your choice.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john the only other power option is a 2008 left over susuki 150hp /4 stroke. what kind of cruise could i expect with the same boat as yours?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

BTW, a technique for easily achieving a consistent thickness of fairing compound is to use an 1/8" V notched trowel. Trowel on a complete layer with the trowel, allow it to cure to a leather hardness, and knock off the tips of the ridges with a long flat sureform rasp. Apply another layer of fairing compound with a drywall knife, filling the valleys. Allow a 48 hr cure and sand with course paper over a long board.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Capt. Patrick- Thanks for the build advice. Still have alot of stuff to do. I'm hoping to have it ready to go by spring, and then convert over to a cc next winter, so I have time. Its been good therapy though.

Bob- She has a 1994 Yamaha 200 hp. I get 30 knts at 4200, about 40 knts WOT which I think is 5300 rpm or so. The motor is an opposite rotation with a semi-dinged up prop. She has some water weight in her--when I was on her deck (rotten plywood under paint) yesterday, I could here cracking from the ice in the ply as I walked around. Eventually, I'll redeck/restringer her, and maybe use coosa to try to get her weight down. I'd like to go with a 150-175 4-stroke.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john i check inventory after i posted and found a 20' palm beach center console with a 150 yamaha four stroke . similar v-hull boat with simple center console like yours and performance is about the same as your 200hp so you are carrying quite a bit of waterlogged foam and little off with prop damage and possibly not the optimin prop.one of our subcontractors has a original 20' sportman in a shed maybe i can photo anything you need to see up close. i remember the teak center console in it real cool!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bob-

I think the deadrise on the B20 is going to take a little more power to push than a Palm Beach. I still think that if you want efficiency and a 25 knt. crusie or so a 150 would do fine. On the other hand, I've also thought it'd be nice to have a 250 opti or so on her...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i was leaning towards a very light efficent cc 150hp 4stroke should push it mainly for operation in the bay sometimes crossing over 1 foot of water get to striper location.however son wants baron style triditional i/o with 525s/c or a 400hp mercruiser. i feel it will be used a few hours a year this way with his young family i could care less about a speedboat with all that wasted time and energy.that is why i wanted to show him a more practical approach . the 31bertram will still do all offshore and 50% of bay fishing.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bob- The B20 is a great bay boat. I use mine for light tackle jigging, chasing fish on top, some solo trolling, running around to bars/restaurants, and taking the kids tubing/wakeboarding. Its the best riding 20 I've been on. I plan on keeping her real simple--only electrics will be a ff/gps, stereo, anchor/running lights, bilge pump, gas gauge, o/b gauge, and an outlet for a spot light. No washdown pump (fresh or raw), no permanently plumbed livewell, no tabs--nothing I don't have to have. Below decks will be all sealed except for tank access--kinda' like a better riding, better looking Parker with a nicer console. Simple with less stuff to break.

Make the moppie into a bay fishing boat, and get yourself a small go fast. With your background/knowledge, should be easy. Never owned a go-fast, but I sure do like going for rides.
captbone

Post by captbone »

This looks like a great project. I cant wait to see the finished result. I always loved the B20. I have always found balance and trim of the transom mounted OB is perfect for the 20 Bertam. A single 150-175 four stroke would be idea. Once you get above 450lbs it will effect your trim.

John F.

Post by John F. »

Capt. Bone- Thanks for the pics. The blue cc with the 250 has gotta' run.
captbone

Post by captbone »

If I remember correctly its mid 50s. I love the look but not as natural or well balanced as the transom mounted ones.

The 20ft Bertram Bahia Mar is one that I alway keep an eye for an extra project. I have alway been fond of that and the 20ft Seacraft Seafari. I truely feel these hulls dont require alot of power. I had the pleasure of riding on a 20ft Seacraft (cuddy) seafari with a single 90hp and it felt fine with a 32mph top. For powering a single 125hp Optimax, 140hp Suzuki, 150hp Yamaha would all be on my short list. The ability to get 5mpg+ is really nice.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. bone the last photo answers my question . i wanted to see how they rounded the inside of the gunnel at the bow . real nice gentle curve .i could take the existing raise curve and bring it around! is this boat in driving distants to take a look? i wonder what his cruise is with the 150 evinrude?

john i drove /owned so many speed boats in my life i could not even count ,i just remember the ones i had a accident in , plus two wellcraft scrabs that split open on me!! trust me when i tell you !!!! the boat must be 24' in the bay and a minumum of 30' in the ocean to attain and maintain safety. you can and i did go 100mph in the ocean with the best 24' but sooner or later you will go over no matter how good you are!!!! i am against making this 20bertram into a firebreathing 80mph boat------oh my ribs hurt just thinking about it!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

John -

I have a TON of pictures from my B20 project.

It is a Bahia Mar and I tore just about all the way into it.

I've got a thread going on the 25 site.

http://simplifying.net/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0

I thought long and hard about notching the transom like yours... just couldn't bring my self to do it.

I need to get back to Balto sometime. I'd love to see your 20 up close and see how the outboard strikes me up close.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Ian.
captbone

Post by captbone »

All of those boat are North Carolina or further.

I agree that bow look natural and OEM. The boat with the bracket has a 250hp Etec and it boogies. I send the owner a PM and asked him to post some numbers and more pictures he for ideas and food for thought.
Last edited by captbone on Jan 10th, '11, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Ian-

I've been following your thread on the B25 site, as well as the other B20 threads. I've tried email, whatever, and have never been able to register over there. Your Bahia looks great. I'm not a big fan of brackets. I can pretty easily work a fish around the stern with the transom mount. To each his own.

Bob- You're next project should be to get ahold of one of the B31 raceboats and restore that.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john sometimes you just have to walk away, especially when your instant reflex is not there! you will not only endanger yourself but the ones next to you who trust you. i posted the photo`s from the 38 bertram raceboat. i really don`t missed it .just think about us driving a racecar down a mountain you have the gas pedal and i have the wheel with no brakes!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Hey John, I tried to get signed on for awhile too. When I thought I finally succeeded, I tried to look myself up. I found that there are about 20,000 (exagerated but close) members from mostly Africa and eastern Europe. If you go email Russ directly with your info he'll set you up. May take a day or two but he'll do it.
I'm sure Capt. Pat has seen the same issues here.
BTW, fellow B20 sportsman owner....still deciding where to go with it.
Buju

Post by Buju »

capt. bone the last photo answers my question . i wanted to see how they rounded the inside of the gunnel at the bow . real nice gentle curve
Pretty sure that boat is a sportsman, and that is the factory bow. Anyone confirm?
The problem w/ doing that to a moppie is the bow hatch opening is in the way, which isn't impossible by any means. Just a lot more glasswork.
I chose to utilize the hatch and incorporate it into the open layout.

I'll take a pic of my horribly hacked up bow today and post, been busy, would'a done it sooner.
BTW, a technique for easily achieving a consistent thickness of fairing compound is to use an 1/8" V notched trowel. Trowel on a complete layer with the trowel, allow it to cure to a leather hardness, and knock off the tips of the ridges with a long flat sureform rasp. Apply another layer of fairing compound with a drywall knife, filling the valleys. Allow a 48 hr cure and sand with course paper over a long board.
Now that is some really great, time saving advice. I know I can really get lost in fairing something. Spend waaay too long in an area, sand too much off, etc. I'm gonna utilize that technique to it's fullest. Thank you Capt. Pat.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Kurt-

Can you pm Russ's email? Thanks.

John
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Hey guys, CaptBone PM'd me on anther site and I thought I would chime in.

The dark blue hull center console with the old Evinrude and the New ETEC 250 is mine.

I have tons of photos and some suggestions on what i like / dont like about the layout and weight distribution (main reason for selecting the ETEC)

I'll need to figure out how to add some photos here or drop me an email and I'll send some direct. dhand@oltc.com

The Boat has an armstrong bracket, two fuel tanks (one where the old inboard went and another where the old fuel tank was - replacesd with aluminum) the batteries are between the two tanks, console has double hatch opening to the rear, live well in deck in fornt of the console, two long deck hatches on either side of the console and a front step up with double hatch storage and an anchor locker just under the bow.

I added Bennett trim tabs (customized by Bennett at no extra cost!!!!), washdown and aerator.
I put a teak toe rail on the front this summer since the photos for stability as the kids use the bow as a "cannonball" platform.
Next project is a teak steering helm pod... like i have nothing better to do with my time?

The baot is still "slightly" stern heavy but does drain unless everyone is standing in the back..

The 250 will push it at nearly 60 mph :-D :-D

I love the boat, and use it nearshore, inshore and lots of kids activites.

I'll follow up wioth some more details ASAP
[/img]
captbone

Post by captbone »

60mph is a very nice top end for a hard core 20ft fishing boat. It looks great.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dark snow falling day my mind goes back what seems a thousand years.we won in division 1 the glocester mass. a.p.b.a. race with a challenger 21' . the first foot is a needle point so lets call it 20' like your bertram. the largest motor that year was the new v-6 evenrude at 200 hp.we were able to attain 68mph by putting one tank all the way forward like were the v-berth would be on the moppie and the other were it is oem. we had a fuel tranfer pump to move gas back and forth . there are three legs on the race course so wave direction changes as well as wave height as you go into the ocean. anyways this change could easily make up for that bracket and motor.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

David sent some pics to me--David you should post some here. One of the nicest B20s I've ever seen. I was leaning towards trying to make my B20 into a really fuel efficient CC with a nice ride....but 60 sounds like alot of fun.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

mark p re did a nice 20 cc
1968 hull # 316 - 757
John F.

Post by John F. »

Console has been f'glassed and faired, with a coat of prime to see how good/bad it looks. I also cut some holes and installed an access door, tackle box, and glove box. The door and boxes are made out of starboard and I got it from a place in NC called Fin-addict marine (www.finaddictmarine.com). Nice stuff, great prices, and really nice people. Some pics:

It may look like they're off in the pics., but the doors, etc. are actually lined up and straight.

Usually we have a some winter projects going on. Not much this year other than Russ P's new boat?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Looking good!
Mack

Post by Mack »

John-
We are not even halfway through February and you are cranking away on that console!

I am predicting right now that it will be mounted on the boat are ready to go by May!

Nice work.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
gmelvin

Post by gmelvin »

Looks really good John. Will it and that big landing net in the background be ready for April Rock fishin? I bet it will!

Great work.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Console is about ready to drop into the B20.

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Dang John......that looks really good

Do you hire out???? LOL

hb
hb
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

John F. wrote:Console is about ready to drop into the B20.

I don't know, I might put some beers on ice in that thing and leave it in the house as a piece of furniture. It looks that good.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

John, Lookin good...id add a cup holder or two and a remote control holder and bolt it to the living room floor...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Great work John - So, you take I-95 until you get to Exit 70 in Old Lyme, turn right, head about 4.98 miles down the road until you see the Bertram 25 -- feel free to work some magic on her too!

I'm truly amazed by the skills the brethren have here, and with the good Captain's mentoring, there is pretty much nothing that can't be accomplished by this bunch!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Dam that is nice. Is it painted or did you gel coat it?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for the compliments. Its been in the house for a couple of weeks now while I wired it up. Wife has been pretty patient, but she wants it back outside--can't blame her.

I painted it with Toplac. I've had pretty good luck with it. This time I used paint I had left from a B31 project, and I ran out of paint after my 2nd or 3rd coat. It really needed to be sanded and recoated until I got it just right, but I was tired of sanding/painting, didn't feel like ordering more paint, and lazied/cheaped out and started putting it together. I fish the boat, and it'll get banged up soon enough anyway.

Been browsing B31 ads tonight. Withdrawals are tough.
John F.

Post by John F. »

From this:

To this:

I'll launch as is, and figure out if or how much I want to cut out of the foredeck. There's about 35" from the back edge of the leaning post to the OB well. I also have about 35" from the front of the console to the beginning of the foredeck. Its enough room to fish out of, and I may just cut out the dash bump, hatch, and get to a smooth foredeck and have a little semi-express look. That'd be alot less f'glass work, and give me storage. Little CCs tend to lack storage. If anybody has any ideas/input, feel free.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Looks great.

I like the look of the forward deck.

I would say cut the deck just aft of the hatch and build an express style combing around.

JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Oh yeah, that's looking good!!

As for ideas, I'd suggest bolting down the leaning post ;)

I was going to call and stop by this past weekend, just couldn't figure out a time when I was free. Stuck as a single parent this weekend and still had to make some progress on the B35. This weekend's Easter and Next is the Rockfish tourney...some day soon we'll catch up.

Mack called it right, installed and fishing by may...

BTW, what's the name of your B20? only fittin she has a name now...?

br,
JohnD