SUMMER STORAGE

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

SUMMER STORAGE

Post by Craig Mac »

I am considering not spalshing my boat for this season--it is currently shrink wrapped since last October---not sure if it should be uncovered for the summer ---I am worried about mold, condensation, and imron paint-does anybody have expierence with long term storage?

Boat is located on Long Island, NY.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Craig,

Buy one or two of those solar powered vent fans you see on some boat hatches, and put them into the shrink wrap. That will draw air in and through the enclosure on a constant basis. I started doing this a couple years ago for my shrink wrap and it has made a huge difference.

You may consider enlarging the vents also. I bought dryer vent hose this year, and cut it to a scoop shape, and taped in over the vent holes with shrink wrap tape. That allowed me to open up the holes to be 2-3 inch size without water intrusion vs. the 1" holes the yard put in.

Dug
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Craig,

Don't leave it wrapped... The mold & mildew is combatable, but moisture between the shrink and Imron, along with summer heat, WILL cause you a world of grief. The additional maintenance of an uncoverd boat isn't anywhere near as expensive as paint repairs. Better safe than sorry...

Br,

Patrick
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

Capt Patrick,

How about if you use a breathable kind of fabric? like a light canvas, I was think about the same for my boat state side? Thanks!
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
randall

Post by randall »

built in one morning...scrap wood and a 100 dollar tarp....survived 50+ mile an hour winds all winter....to steep for snow to stick and very easy access. converts easily to a nice A frame to work under with open ends then zips up tight in 10 minutes if need be.........just a thought

In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Randall - that could pass easy for Noah's Ark......

Heading to the camp shortly for a loooooog weekend, crawfish, and fly fishing for the bull bream my spies tell me are hitting the popping bug 100 feet from my boathouse.

UV, the yard man
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Thums Up wrote:Capt Patrick, How about if you use a breathable kind of fabric? like a light canvas, I was think about the same for my boat state side? Thanks!
Breathable fabric would be OK, but anywhere moisture can be trapped against paint, or sometimes even gelcoat, blistering can occur..,

Br,

Patrick