Chesapeake rockfish

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Face

Chesapeake rockfish

Post by Face »

Left solomons friday dec 5 around 7:30. Weatherman called for 10-15 knts with gusts to 20 NW, not good. Went "right out front" and winds were low. By the time we had all lines out, 16, waves were a tight 6' chop. Instead of working east to west across the channel we were almost forced to fish north/south into and with the waves. My friend's wooden bay built boat has an extremely deep v and is very narrow compared to most. Its great into a tight chop but likes to roll when perpendicular. Ended up with 7 fish, biggest just under 40". Winds calmed down in the afternoon.

[/img]
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

u sure that one farthest on the left is 28inches haha

anyways good job and i'm right on the other side of the solomons bridge in your pic
Buju

Post by Buju »

Cool woodie...
Looks cold as hell, the shot underway made me shiver. brrrrrrrrr.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

nice catch you guys put together, 16 lines out !!, the most i put out when i was trolling was 3, 2 wire off the sides and 1 on the down rigger off the transon, you have to explain the set up to me. i can pitcure the fire drill on that one.
Face

Post by Face »

Scooter, the fish on the left in the front and the fish that's blocked in the back left are actually "unders"(18"-28"). The others are "overs" (28"+). You're allowed one under and one over per person on a private boat, the same for a charter with the exception of one boat fish for the mate during some of the year. Spring season is one trophy per person.

The spread we ran consisted of 7 boat rods and 9 "board rods". The board rods are fished off of planar boards on each side of the boat. The planar boards are like big versions of the small out planers originally used on the great lakes. The release clip is a simple caribeener with a rubber band. They work like extremely long outriggers but are difficult to fish in rough seas. The boat rods consist of 2 roof rods back about 300' and 275'. Then two deep rods with 80 lb power pro and heavy inline sinkers up front out 35' and 55'. Two more deep lines (wire or braid) off the stern as well as an intermediate line off the stern dead center. Believe it or not when I fish as a mate we run 20-26 rods during spring and fall. We rarely have a tangle.
Face

Post by Face »

And yeah, it was cold as hell. Layer up
-Joe
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Unbelievable- I often have chaos and tangled lines trolling two 300' wire lines with inexperienced guys on board. Congratulations! I am immensely impressed. Walter
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

shows i've been spending to much time working on my boat this year than fishing. i thought they had limited the fall season to over 28 only the summer being when you can take the 18-28. my mistake. lol i thought it looked smaller than 28.
Face

Post by Face »

Scooter, Definitely smaller..."a good eating fish". The limit in the ocean within the EEZ is 28" I believe. If you want to get out in the next few weeks let me know. We'll probably go a few more times with the extension of the season to dec. 31 this year.
-Joe
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

thanks face sounds good things are going to be hectic for me between now and christmas but i may be able to get away. thanks for the invite. and big or small it dont matter as long as its a rockfish im good. haha