New Owners of a 1969 Bertram 31 (Moppie?)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Singer

New Owners of a 1969 Bertram 31 (Moppie?)

Post by Harry Singer »

Hi Everyone,
We just purchased our 1969 Bertram 31 from the original owner who special ordered her directly from Bertram. She came with all the original paperwork including manual and warranty papers. After searching on your site we think she is the moppie version (Our Hull Number 312-899) but can not find a good picture of an inboard moppie. She needs some work (mostly cosmetic) and we are trying to decide how much we want to change her from her original set up and some pictures would be great. Thinking we may just replace the fuel tank for the coming season and then after a season's use make our decisions on what we want to do to her. Anyone have or know of some pictures (all the pictures we can find of an open boat are the Bahia Mar version.
Thanks - Harry
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Show us some pictures of yours.... Welcome to the sandbox!
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

Whaler1777 wrote:Show us some pictures of yours.... Welcome to the sandbox!
Unfortunately she is under shrink wrap and the only pictures we have were done when we had her surveyed last month. Don't think you'd be interested in these.
1969 - Hull #312-899
Harv

Post by Harv »

Post anyway. We can then figure a direction for you.
Harv
Harry Singer

OK here are the pictures

Post by Harry Singer »

Well that wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be after reading the how do posted on the site.
1969 - Hull #312-899
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

That's the first 31 Moppie model I have ever seen. Very interesting. Having always run a Sportsfisherman from the bridge, I wonder what it would be like behind that windshield. I'd recommend some sort of enclosure.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

So cool.
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

walterk wrote:That's the first 31 Moppie model I have ever seen. Very interesting. Having always run a Sportsfisherman from the bridge, I wonder what it would be like behind that windshield. I'd recommend some sort of enclosure.
Up here in Canada we like to stay close to the fridge, which is right behind the captain's seat. With respect to the enclosure, she came with a canvas enclosure which should work find up on Georgian Bay. We don't really get into the big fishing waters like most of you seem to.
1969 - Hull #312-899
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Now thats awesome... Is that a radar arch?? Cant wait to see some pics when shes out from under that cover...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

that's the first one I have seen as well---I do have a early catalog (1961?) that shows this model---I think on the old web page there was a link for a copy of that catalog.
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

Thanks Capt. John, we're pretty excited about her. Yes that is a radar arch which the original owner added on but we aren't sure if we are going to keep it, will decide when the cover comes off and we have a good look.
1969 - Hull #312-899
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

Craig Mac wrote:that's the first one I have seen as well---I do have a early catalog (1961?) that shows this model---I think on the old web page there was a link for a copy of that catalog.
Went on the old web page and searched 'catalog link' and now understand why Capt. Pat changed the board. 1,696 results and when I started looking through them the majority were links to viagara, lipitor, video poker, ring tones, etc etc., what a pain in the ass! Unfortunately could not find the link to the early catalog.
1969 - Hull #312-899
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Hello Harry,
I have a 1961 model that has been bastardized with a lobster boat pilot house. I am really interested in more interior pics showing bulkhead placement and around the steering position. I may want to bring this one back to nearly original.
Thanks,
CB
randall

Post by randall »

extremely cool boat. lets go wake boarding!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

I believe Richard Bertram named many of his boats after his wife..."Moppie" was a Nickname/ Pet-Name he called her. Or at least something to that effect.

I have a bunch of old brochures I can send you, just need e-mail..you'll see several boats with Moppie across the back. My Express Cruiser has panels labeled 31 Moppie .

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy yours like we enjoy ours...

Carl

In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The ultimate Howdy Boat.....wish I had one.

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

That's damned cool!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

VERY COOL!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

CB - Will get you some interior pictures next time we are up at the boat.

Randall - If you are ever up Georgian Bay way bring your wake board & some of that rum you guys were talking about on an earlier post, we promise a great ride.

Carl - Email is singerhg@amtelecom.net Thanks for the welcome and we'd really enjoy seeing those old brochures. Love the picture you posted, really shows us what she'll look like once the shrink wrap comes off and she is cleaned up.

UV & Doug - glad to hear you like her.
1969 - Hull #312-899
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Harry,

I'm in Midland.
Where'd you find that gem ?

I've got acouple of B25's and a B20, but the perfect B31 (for me) Bahia Mar or rarer Moppie has eluded me.

There's a guy on Simcoe w/an original, mint condition B31 Bahia Mar. A year or so ago when I inquired, it wasn't on the market.
Amazing how much better these boats fare in fresh water and a quick season.

I'd love to have a closer look at your boat someday.

Feel free to call me anytime you want to talk Bertram, 705-528-4691.

Cheers,

John
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Harry,

I've discovered alot of the marinas on Georgian Bay have ethanol free fuel @ the pump. Picnic Island in particular, and their prices are the lowest in the area too.

You maybe able to get by with a good tank cleaning for atleast another couple of seasons.

BR,
John.
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

Hi John,

Glad to hear there's someone up in our neck of the woods. We are just outside Coldwater.

I've had my eye on the boat for a couple of years, have always wanted a B31. The original owner owns Severn Boat Haven in Port Severn and I jumped at the chance when he decided it was time to sell her.

Maybe in the spring when the wrap comes off you could come over and have a look. Thanks for your number, I will definitely give you a call sometime as I'd love to have a look at your boats.

Harry
1969 - Hull #312-899
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Harry,
Welcome to the sandbox, that's only the 2nd convertible I've seen, nice ride. When you get ready to clean up the brown Formica try Scotts Liquid Gold it works great for bringing back the shine, I've been using it on my 1961 express for 32 years, some of the guys use Penatrol, but Liquid Gold Lemon smells better.
John S are you the fellow that I did a survey on a blue 25 Bahia Mar in Ft Lauderdale about 5 years ago? Boat had 2-165 Mercruisers and was original light blue gel coated hull and house. What happened with that boat.
Pete Fallon 561-310-7179 cell
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Harry,

Figures, 'Severn Boat Haven', that's too funny.
I'm @ the Rawley resort about once a month in the season.
Have always said to myself that I should go poke around at the Boat Haven while I'm up there.
Oh well, atleast I can admire your find.
Looking forward to have a closer look in the spring.

There's a suprising # of B25's and B20's on the bay.
Mostly cottagers in the Honey Harbour to Sans Souci area.
A bunch of 14' & 16' & 18' Hunts too.
My sport convertible is still in for another week or two.

Look forward to meeting and talking with you.
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Pete,
Small world story.....
I was looking @ that boat and had the broker send me a copy of a survey (not sure if it was yours, I still have it somewhere).
So was another guy that beat me to the punch.
About a month later I found another B25 in Oklahoma and dragged it home.
Shortly there after, I'm over at a boat yard up here to talk to their fibreglass guy about what needs to be done to my new old boat, and what do you know...the florida boat is already in his shop !
I got talking to the boat owner.
Turns out he had originally tried to buy the boat that I ended up with from Oklahoma.
He had a full on restoration/repower done on his boat that turned out beautifully.
Haven't seen him or that boat for acouple of years now, but I'm pretty sure it's still up here on Georgian Bay.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Very nice.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Thanks Harry I am not in a rush. I got the new rear decks installed; but the forward part starts next spring. The front windows were removed and the area glassed in. Then a pilot house was added above the old window line. So now the new windows start at where the old frames stopped. The steering station was raised and so on. I would like to see what the junctions from the from the V-birth bulkhead back towards the stern.
Thanks
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

Pete Fallon wrote:Harry,
Welcome to the sandbox, that's only the 2nd convertible I've seen, nice ride. When you get ready to clean up the brown Formica try Scotts Liquid Gold it works great for bringing back the shine, I've been using it on my 1961 express for 32 years, some of the guys use Penatrol, but Liquid Gold Lemon smells better.
John S are you the fellow that I did a survey on a blue 25 Bahia Mar in Ft Lauderdale about 5 years ago? Boat had 2-165 Mercruisers and was original light blue gel coated hull and house. What happened with that boat.
Pete Fallon 561-310-7179 cell
Hi Pete,
Don't know how much cleaning of the brown Formica I will be doing as the wife hates it (says it looks cheap) and like most women wants to replace it with something that looks nicer. So might have to look into what I can do to replace or cover it as happy wife make for more enjoyable boat rides.
Harry
1969 - Hull #312-899
Diego

Post by Diego »

Nice!! I would keep it as original as possible...
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

You may have one of the Classics of Classics. That is a really cool layout. Should look sharp when she is all cleaned up.
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

Yeah Tony we think she is pretty special. We just have to figure out how much work and money we want to put into her without going way overboard. It's hard to know when there isn't a lot to compare to.
1969 - Hull #312-899
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

There are two of the "Moppie" models in Grosse Pointe, Michigan on Lake St. Clair. One is absolutely mint with what looks like original sky blue gelcoat. The owner has it rigged for walleye and muskie trolling. The boat also has an extra row of seats behind the helm and port side bench seats. It is wide open with no bimini. If a "For Sale" sign ever went up on it, it would be tough to resist. Leigh
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry Singer wrote:Yeah Tony we think she is pretty special. We just have to figure out how much work and money we want to put into her without going way overboard. It's hard to know when there isn't a lot to compare to.

Opinions are like you know what....and as the saying goes everyone's got one...including me...So here's my opinion...and I don't care that you didn't ask for it.

Get the boat in a seaworthy, dependable, safe condition, give a good wash and wax and then get out on the water and enjoy. Clean her up and learn her ins and outs as you go and figure out what projects you want to tackle and in what order. Some can be done dockside, others while your fishing on a slow day and others at the end of the season. Some guys just go all out and do Everything at once. While that makes sense to some degree...my pockets aren't that deep...nor do I have a burning desire to be working on a boat when I could be enjoying it...

Again...my .02.
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

Hi Leigh,
It seems that for sale signs don't go up on these boats very often, we got real lucky with this one. We think we are going to keep her as original as possible but I must say the helm bench is not the most comfortable thing I have ever sat in, I am not a big man and find there isn't a lot of room.
Harry
1969 - Hull #312-899
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

sim wrote:
Opinions are like you know what....and as the saying goes everyone's got one...including me...So here's my opinion...and I don't care that you didn't ask for it.

Get the boat in a seaworthy, dependable, safe condition, give a good wash and wax and then get out on the water and enjoy. Clean her up and learn her ins and outs as you go and figure out what projects you want to tackle and in what order. Some can be done dockside, others while your fishing on a slow day and others at the end of the season. Some guys just go all out and do Everything at once. While that makes sense to some degree...my pockets aren't that deep...nor do I have a burning desire to be working on a boat when I could be enjoying it...

Again...my .02.
We are of the same opinion but the fun part is dreaming about what we are going to do to her and the day she will be all finished!!
1969 - Hull #312-899
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry,

I have a wish list too...someday I'll get Diesels and a Paint job.
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

Wow Carl your wish list is pretty short (expensive but short)! I've already checked off the most important part of my wish list - find a Betram 31 that I love and doesn't cost me a mortage on the house :-D

Should add hasn't cost me a mortgage YET
1969 - Hull #312-899
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

That's a first for me and one in a very small bunch made. Should be fast, with so little windage and light in weight. ENJOY !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

Bertramp wrote:That's a first for me and one in a very small bunch made. Should be fast, with so little windage and light in weight. ENJOY !!
Thanks Bertramp, the mechanic who has been servicing her since day one said she does close to 50mph. Can hardly wait until next summer to test her out myself :-D
1969 - Hull #312-899
In Memory Walter K

Be careful- That boat without the weight most of us have on ours, going that fast could get hard/dangerous to manage. I'd also suggest Captain Patricks bigger rudders as I am sure you probably have the original small ones. Good luck. You have a very special model.
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

Thanks for the suggestion Walter. Will definitely look into the bigger rudders and then add them to my list. Can I find them somewhere on this site?
Harry
1969 - Hull #312-899
In Memory Walter K

Just contact Captain Patrick. I'm sure he'll chime in soon. If not, e-mail him.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

There was one a while back for sale with a dark blue hull and a really nice tower. One of the coolest boats I have ever seen!
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carl

Post by Carl »

Without a cabin structure up front she is gonna handle a lot different then our boats...

Harry, the wish list is small...but then I have the "To Do List" are the items I have to get done. Soon as we knock off one item another always comes up to take its place. eg. a "new to me" glass cockpit floor to replace the old wood panel floor...then the side panels stick out like a sore thumb and need to get redone.
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

Thanks Tony for the link, took me right to the rudders. I am going to post pictures of my rudders on a new post as it's really another topic and this post is getting rather lengthy. Maybe someone can tell me which original rudders they are.
Harry
1969 - Hull #312-899
Harry Singer

Post by Harry Singer »

sim wrote:Without a cabin structure up front she is gonna handle a lot different then our boats...

Harry, the wish list is small...but then I have the "To Do List" are the items I have to get done. Soon as we knock off one item another always comes up to take its place. eg. a "new to me" glass cockpit floor to replace the old wood panel floor...then the side panels stick out like a sore thumb and need to get redone.
Hey Walter, I am sure she will handle different from your boats and am hoping she is similar to what I am use to (a Grew 25') and she can't be any worse than the 50' steel barge I run for my business. LOL
With respect to the "to do list", I am sure mine will also be never ending :(
1969 - Hull #312-899
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

Having always run a Sportsfisherman from the bridge, I wonder what it would be like behind that windshield. I'd recommend some sort of enclosure.

walter
it would be the same as running a bahia mar
1968 hull # 316 - 757