FLEXITEEK ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. DQ

FLEXITEEK ?

Post by Capt. DQ »

Has anybody used or have this product on there boat, just wondering because it looks and sounds like a good product to use for less $ than a sheet of teak/holley.

www.flexiteek.com

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

My discussion with a rep a while back, found it to be quite expensive. Is the Teak/Holly combo available in sheets? If so, how thick? I assume unfinished. Walter
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I used this guy to re-do the floors of my 86 33 FBC. He uses a product called Plasteak:

http://www.teakworksbymagogo.com/index.html

I had had wall to wall carpet before, but when I decided to re-power last winter the old crappy carpet had to come out. I did not want to go with another carpet that would look like crap after 2 or 3 years. It looks and feels just like teak and holly except that it will not scrape or gouge. The entire boat installed cost me $3k (includes the salon, the steps, and the lower companion way). I also had him cut out all of the hatches that were covered by carpet before. I can pretty much pull up the entire salon floor now. I think it would probably cost less than $1500 on a 31 as you don't have the square footage that I do. I am very happy with it and it will last forever.
Regards,

Doug L.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I went through their website and nowhere does it indicate where they're located. No phone, just e-mail.??? Walter
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Doug,

Between the two, Flexiteek is by far better. Plasteak isn't much more than linoleum. Crapy in my estimation. Gerry Santiago used the Flexiteek on "Zero Cavity", so he's another to give a first hand opinion...

(Gerry's boat)
(Not Gerry's boat...)

Br,

Patrick
Last edited by CaptPatrick on Nov 10th, '07, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
ScottD

Flexiteak

Post by ScottD »

I think Gerry put in Flexiteak, and really likes it.

ScottD
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Capt. Pat,

From the picture you first showed, it looks like Flexiteek by the shot....lets see if he chimes in and confirms which.

Thanks,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

locally its $75-$100 sq. ft. for the plasteek or the cork stuff
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. patrick the flexiteek is a composite pvc,solid color throughout,non slip,uv stable decking
954-973 4335
Raybo Marine NY

I like the cork better then the flex, the flex looks like a rubber mat
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

I have Flexiteek and I love it. Looks good, boat always look clean ( hate white floor that gets dirty very easy ) easy to maintain ( water and maybe soap and go ). Flexiteek looks and feel like dry teak, darkens when wet like teak and if you get any stain it can be sanded.

Plasteak makes 2 products, the fake and ugly looking cork one (sorry Raybo Marine NY ) and one same as Flexiteek.

Bottom line is= I'm very happy with it.

[/url]
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Gerry,

Thanks for setting me straight...

Br,

Patrick
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Sorry you feel that way Pat. I'm very happy with it and its now coming standard on all Albins.
Regards,

Doug L.
Raybo Marine NY

I said one looked a little better, honestly I dont like any of them
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

looks good on a baylinner it is difinitely not teak . use it no problem but don`t bring home a rhinestone instead of a diamond on your 25th anniversary same thinking ----not on a bertram!!!!
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Bob Lico once you see my Bertram 31 I think you will change your mind about Flexiteek on a Bertram 31. I will try to take some photos next week.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Bob,
I was thinking about using Flexiteek inside the cabin...not outside on the deck. But it does look good for outside in my opinion with alot less maintenance. Just because Bayliners have it doesn't mean the stuff is bad.

Gerry,
Your swim platform looks great...did you use it in the cockpit or the cabin also?

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Flexiteek on flybridge floor, cockpit floor and swim platfom. Inside cabin I used another material but forgot te name of it. Tomorow I will find out and let you know.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Forgot to mention that i did the white lines opose to the black lines found on real teak. That was my personal preference.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt DQ i was talking about the deck i should had been more explicite.inside the cabin it would good idea,easy to clean and maint. is minimum.as far as the deck goes i feel the used of flexiteek would be in conflick of any other teak used on the outside like covering boards,window trim,and fiberglass parting edges.i will be open minded but after looking at jp 31 any thing other than real teak would take some arm twisting.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Bob,

I agree after looking @ JP's Teak Cockpit, that it is just breath taking and a work of art with all that teak. But not everybody has that craftsmanship of people in there area to do that good looking of a job or the material @ easy access to get without ordering it in @ a high expense of shipping.

So in some cases, Flexiteek fills that void and looks good to boot with low maintance.

Just another opinion.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Capt. DQ : Here is the link to the material I used inside the cabin.

http://www.worldpanel.com/lonseal.htm
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Regarding the outside I think you've got a point DQ regarding local ability. I would have a hard time choosing a synthetic over real wood. But that's just me. The shots I saw of Gerry's boat were awesome. The local experience with teak is 20+ years on one of these boats. I just can't fault that kind of history. Maybe time will prove flexiteek the winner. Today I couldn't make the call to go away from the real thing.
That being said, on the inside glue down the amtico and call it a day. Teak and holly all day long.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

that teak is the cats ass ,i mean absolutely beautiful!!!!!!. sorry can`t think flexiteek i feel the end justfiys the the extra work i did all my own teak .trial and error some times but with woodworking it was not my first load of pumpkins (northern slang).
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The feel of real wood on bare feet. My deck is teak and I would never change it for anything. I drag coolers and cut fish on it. It makes the boat. I have seen both the fakes and for the price I would think real is the way to go. A buddy of mine did the fake stuff and loves it. You should do what you feel is best and what you have time and $ for. Oh JP your Bert is Perfect!! WOW!
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

JP: love your B31 !!! Now on your boat NO WAY I would do Flexiteek. Why ? Well you have a lot of real wood outside ( gunnel,cabin door and bulkheads ) and real teak is the only way for your boat.

The only real wood on mine is the Rybo style flybridge console, no gunnel teak, no wood frames around windows so to my eyes Flexiteek was right for my boat. Also I took in consideration the fact that I wanted to keep maintanance to a minimun (I'm LAZY ).

Guys, understand that I'm no trying to sell or convince anyone on Flexiteek. I just want to share how I feel about it.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Gerry,

Post a picture of area's of your B31 with Flexiteek please. I would really like to see it.

Coke the "REAL THING" with CRUZAN DARK RUM ! , now we were getting somewhere! I,ll go for that, no work, or maintance, just a little elbow grease to raise the cup and drink.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

This photos were taken back in June 2007 by Bruce. I will take new ones this weekend.

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?t=1547
Last edited by ZeroCavity on Nov 13th, '07, 16:19, edited 4 times in total.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

That looks great Gerry.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Looks awsome. Great job.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Well Guys,

The disscusion about flexiteek verses teak was interesting, @ least we know how some of the faithful feel about the two, it is either low maintance or high maintance. I think JP hit it on the nose...going to go with Amtico teak & holley planks for inside the cabin floor and save some money for other areas of interest on the B31.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Hal

Post by Hal »

DQ, I saw that stuff the other day at the meeting and thought it looked good until I got the price quote. A decent quality house only costs 150 sq ft around here and they're wanting 90 for the installed pvc.

Wow, was all I had to say.
I like crawfish and beer!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Gerry,
Looks fantastic!!...So my wife says..but I trust her, most of the time. I'm needing a little in my cabin in the near future.
Hal,
After talking with Scott and yourself in La, I came back home and immediately started working on my short game. I think that I can whip you both on the golf course...open invite.
ps-You told me that you didn't like Tx. You could get a nice double wide with polyester curtains and a redwood deck for a song. Be living like a big dog. That's what I'm talking about...
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

JP,
Boat looks awesome. Growing up in boating, it brings back memories of what boats used to look like before teak became expensive and people became lazy and wanted everything fiberglass and white.

Back then boating was a life style, not just another toy in the toy box.
Hal

Post by Hal »

JohnCranston wrote: Hal,
After talking with Scott and yourself in La, I came back home and immediately started working on my short game. I think that I can whip you both on the golf course...open invite.
ps-You told me that you didn't like Tx. You could get a nice double wide with polyester curtains and a redwood deck for a song. Be living like a big dog. That's what I'm talking about...
Short game is important, but for the time being I'm sticking to fishing. Got POd back in April after a couple bad rounds and now that the weather is nice again, I may get back on the course. If not, the bar is still ok. Don't know if I could handle the luxury of a redwood deck or even if my wife could fit her shoes in the trailer. And I don't want a dog.
I like crawfish and beer!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Amen, brother.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich