oversize rudders

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Juanjo

oversize rudders

Post by Juanjo »

Hi,

I plan to replace the original rudders of my 1993 bertram 30 moppie. Does anyone has a expirience on this? and do you know what is the exact tyoe of rudders I need of the three models advertised in the web?
Thanks in advance!
pschauss

Re: oversize rudders

Post by pschauss »

I bought a pair for my 31 from Bobby Soles Propeller (Riviera Beach, FL). He had the Captain Pat's design so all I had to tell him was whether my tillers where above or below the shelf. They made a world of difference last summer when I was shaking out a problem with my starboard engine.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Juanjo

Post by Juanjo »

Ok, many thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Juanjo

Not sure what rudders they used on the 30. Since the hull design was different I would think the rudder design was different. Bertram used 3 styles of rudders on the 31.

Take a look at this link.

http://bertram31.com/parts/rudders/index.html

Do the rudders you have look like one of the 31 that are shown? If they are then you would benefit by the oversized rudder that you can purchase from Bobby Soles Propeller down in Florida.

http://www.bobbysolespropeller.com/
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I had my larger rudders built by a local guy in SC. He did a great job. If interested, I'll post his contact info. Also Bobby Soles shop does great work. I had them recondition my props. Again great job.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Juanjo

Post by Juanjo »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply. The rudder is the same style as the Bertram 31 shaft. Any clue about the price for the pair?

Ironworker, yes please send me the contact details.

One more question, what about the ones advertises in this web? I have try to contact Captain P. several times without success.
Thank you all for your help.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Rudders from Bobby Soles were about $2k.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I would say right now, given the cost of material, the price is probably slightly North of $2,000. Give him a call they will let you know.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Mine were made by Stuart Propeller..naturally in Stuart,Fl. They are stainless steel and look as good as the day they were installed. Do a lot of striped bass fishing in the fall, on one motor, with the transmission trolling valve engaged. ( slows the boat down) steers just as good on one motor as two. EarleyBird
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Juanjo wrote: Mar 5th, '21, 17:21 Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply. The rudder is the same style as the Bertram 31 shaft. Any clue about the price for the pair?

Ironworker, yes please send me the contact details.

One more question, what about the ones advertises in this web? I have try to contact Captain P. several times without success.

It is Geiges Services LLC
John Geiges Jr.

He likes text messages. BTW, in addition to the rudders, he built me a new Rudder Board and gear. Here is a picture. The Rudders, rudderboard and rigging was right in the 3k neighborhood. The work is exceptional

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hve0rl2tgmmh ... d.jpg?dl=0

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Juanjo wrote: Mar 5th, '21, 17:21 One more question, what about the ones advertises in this web? I have try to contact Captain P. several times without success.
Juanjo

I know that you are fairly new to the board. Unfortunately Capt. Pat passed away, and Bruce is now the site owner. The parts that used to be available from Capt Pat, are no longer produced.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Juanjo

Post by Juanjo »

Apologies, I didn't know.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

No problem. We will help you when ever we can. Just ask away.

If there is a part you need ask, someone here will direct you in how to obtain it or have it made.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Juanjo

Post by Juanjo »

EarlyBird,

Did you have to bring you old rudder to them? or they have oversized template already?
Yours was the bertram 31 rudders?
Many thanks in advance
Juanjo

Post by Juanjo »

Much appreciated Tony!
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Mr.Juanjo, my rudders were installed in 2002 by Carver Boat. Pt. Pleasant, NJ. The originals were not sent to Stuart Propeller. Keep in mind your through hole diameter, (rudder shaft),height of rudder bench from hull where your bearing will reside, type of rudder arm, steering cylinder length and height above hull. Many measurement to consider. I am sure others here have more to advise. I will measure mine tomorrow for you and take a couple pics. Might try and give Stuart Propeller a call, and mention who they manufactured them for...Carver Boat and year. Good Luck. EarleyBird
Juanjo

Post by Juanjo »

EarlyBird,

Many thanks for you valuable information.
Mine are the same as the one advertised in this web as "bertam 31 shaft style".
The issue is that I live in the balearic islands in Spain and I'm not able to send phiscally the actual rudders that I have so I wonder if knowing the style of the rudder they have the template to build the oversized ones.
I have some pictures but I think I'm not able to send them through this site.
Again your help is much appreciate.
Best regards
Carl

Post by Carl »

My .o2

Pull your rudders, print a picture of oversize rudders and bring to your local marine fabricator. Its not rocket science, any decent shop should be able to replicate your rudder shaft and increase the blade size to whats in the picture. A little larger or smaller is of little difference provided the proportions are kept similar and you don't impede the prop for going on.

Even if they charge you more than the ones here it will not have the shipping and import fees.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

I have the drawing that Bobby Soles sent me if that would help.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Carl

Post by Carl »

pschauss wrote: Mar 13th, '21, 11:21 I have the drawing that Bobby Soles sent me if that would help.
I'd like to see...curious to see how close I am to whats been made. I guessed 1-1/2" added on trailing edge and bottom and 1/2" to the leading edge.

Based on my rudders...some are tiny compared to mine and mine were good till I went with the bigger wheels
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mine are clearly bigger than the gas 28 right next to me.

Clearly longer on the trailing edge, but NOT so on the leading edge or the height.
Result: with one motor I go all over the place!
I don't know who did what and when, but if you can post this sketch with dimensions, I will ask a local machinist/prop shop for a cost estimate. Just in case I could afford to include this into next year’s to do list.
Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Juanjo

Post by Juanjo »

Pschauss,

If you can send what you have (drawing, dimensions) it would help in trying to find a local shop as suggested by Carl.
This is my mail matizado02@hotmail.com
Many thanks for all your help

Dug

Post by Dug »

Juanjo, Captain Pat got his from Bobby Soles Prop. I hope that helps.
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Here is my starboard rudder. 18” LOA. 10” Wide. Leading edge is 3/32”, trailing edge 1/2”. From the topside of my rudder support backing plate (packing gland) to the top of the rudder shaft is approximately 12”. Kinda tough to measure entire length of the rudder, I would say 30-32”. Hope this helps ya Capt. EarleyBird

Juanjo

Post by Juanjo »

Pschauss,

Can you please send me the drawings you have?
Thnaks!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my rudders are fairly similar to Earletbird however 17" from top of rudder to bottom but 10 3/4" wide by 1/2" thick and 31" overall in height.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... er#p140050

Here is another discussion on Rudders. This might help. Try the search function if you want to find more posts on rudders.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315