Cummins engine beds

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

twonahil

Cummins engine beds

Post by twonahil »

Replacing 454's with cummins 5.9 engines. Anyone have ideas for new bed architecture? I have removed bertram wood sisters already.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Cummins engine beds

Post by CaptPatrick »

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Bob has a formula for a template..for the Cummins buddys...worked great for me.. one 4x4 & a couple 2x4s
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

ImageImage

Ipe epoxy bedded to stringers, capped with 3/8" welded u 6061 aluminum, ramps are 1/2" 6061 welded and through bolted thru entire stringer and top to bottom with 1/2" bolts..

Nice to have access under the engines...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
twonahil

Post by twonahil »

Whaler,

after removing the Bertram 454 beds did you cut down the remaing strigers at all? Also, do you have any shop drawings for the aluminum motor risers?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Twoanil, you have to make your mounts meet the engine shaft alignment. Each boat is different. I hung the engines from a gantry pulled a string from the rudders forward, set the rear engine mounts as low as possible to clear the hull with the tranny. The tranny angle and strut shaft angle are a "given" line them up with laser or string and fab your mounts out of wood. Then off to good metal shop and leave a lil room for adjustment. Presto just what whaler has in those pics. BH
[url=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Westwa ... 7.jpg.html]Image[/url
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

I tossed the stock cummins mounts not even close. I used plywood, 2 x 4s and cedar shims get it just where it "needs" to be. My machine shop guy loved them. Don't forget to leave extra room for the water pump impeller removal. I worked that forward engine mount until I could change the impeller without jacking up the motor, only needed a bit of caressing with an angle grinder.I sent my set of wood templates to Luis in Portugal. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
twonahil

Post by twonahil »

Thanks Bob, I realize every installation is different and every bit of info regarding trials and errors of others helps with making decisions without going backwards. Thanks again I like your idea of making wood parts for welder.