Cool New Rust Remover!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Peter

Cool New Rust Remover!

Post by Peter »

I had recently come across some info on this product; EVAPO-RUST

http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html ... 4Aodg2IA3w

It sounded too good to be true, but I'm a sucker to try almost anything once.
I just had occasion to use it on some rusted Merc outboard bits and I couldn't believe how well it worked. (I also can't believe that Merc uses rust-able materials in exposed locatons on an outboard motor... but that is another story.)

I soaked the rusty parts 24 hours. Honestly I was pretty sure I was on the path to replacing them, but just like in the advertisement the rust was gone and the metal was left looking pretty darn good.Only a quick little prep and paint and back onto the boat they will go.

It also claims to be 100% environmentally safe. Hose it down the drain if you spill it. The environmental hazard sheets tell the fire department to hose it into the sewer if there is a big spill

It is also re-usable up to a point. You don't throw it away after you cleaned some parts, you save it for more use. When it stops working is when you discard it.

I found it listed at Lowes, but when I went there they had no idea what I was talking about. I scored at Harbor Freight, though.

You need to immerse the parts in the stuff so you need to get a fair amount of it depending on what you are trying to clean up. If you have an irreguralry shaped part they suggest that you put the part and the EVAPO-RUST into a plastic bag, put the closed bag into a bucket and stuff rags or packing peanuts or the like around the outside of the bag to smush the goo all around the part.

I also heard that there is a very similarly named product out there, which doesn't work as well, so be sure to get the right stuff. I think the difference in the names might just be the hyphen; you WANT the hyphen.... but I might be wrong about there being EvapoRust vs. EVAPO-RUST.

I also have a favorite for removing rust stains from fiberglass. It is called "The Must for Rust" by "Krud Kutter." But that is a very different sort of thing and it is certainly NOT environmentally friendly. But if you have a rust stain on your hull or deck , this stuff will take it right out. Just wear gloves and don't let the overspray get into your eyes.... or near anything galvenized like a trailer.

Peter
Tony Meola

Re: Cool New Rust Remover!

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter thanks. Will give it a try.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Re: Cool New Rust Remover!

Post by Rawleigh »

I use it. It actually works pretty well. One nice thing is that it does not harm non ferrous metals and it does not harm fine machined surfaces. It will leave a slight etched line across the part if it is not completely submerged.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31