rough new england waters

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

rough new england waters

Post by bob lico »

sea trial two boats yesterday in conn/RI waters. wow are you new england guys keeping secrets ? went out in small craft warnings with gale warnings later in day. look in front of the boat and donned my lifeline pfd.white water and waves all over then i saw the water between watch hill light and fishers island like the perfect storm!! i had the viking lift raft under the chair and epirb on the other side. i try to roll that 510 bertram over by turning into a huge wave a complete broach attemp. she roll a little but nothing to write home about. .i could not stuff that bow what can i say after a run with a 48' buddy davis express the bertram wins hands down in rough water trial like a battle wagon . the biggest 51' boat i have ever driven on the water. both boat can scare you at manevering at slow speed i felt at home like the 31 bertram! you put that bitch in gear with 2100hp and she bites!! on just one engine you put in forward and she will launch . 5.9 knots at idle with one engine.31 knot cruise 34knots wot.terrible feature all plumbing for sinks and showers run into grey water holding tank.i would imagine that tank would have to be empty every few days other then lakes why would they install in a boat?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rumrunner

Post by Rumrunner »

Hi Bob

Now you know the feeling I have on the Rumrunner. I got Ok with the slow speed manuvering, just go slow, the boat will not move to much even in the wind. Have a hard time slowing down below 5 knots for stripers. The chimes in the stern are about 12" wide.

Capt Tom
Capt Tom
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tom i am not sure if the sudden launth is due to the "rolla" 5 blade 110% props or just the massive torque of the man engines .she actually squatted as you put the single lever controls in forward. there is no way in hell you could troll for stripe bass but why would you ? this girl has canyon bound with confort in the captain`s log book.i will test 60' hat convertible next week.the 48' viking test a few months back along with the a few more more 48' to 60' gives a pretty good idea of the good the bad and the ugly(post) in the rough waters of the atlantic. i would say you made a great choice. tom these guys are reposessing one big boat a week and then sell out of country. i can`t belive these owners just walk away from these beauties.the bank let them put down 112,000 on a 1.5 million dollar boat make a few payments and then fish the hell out of them until the repo captains take them.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473