B31 Stbd cummins exhaust extractor and fuel sender help

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bermuda Brother

B31 Stbd cummins exhaust extractor and fuel sender help

Post by Bermuda Brother »

Gentlemen,

I need help with 2 issues from the faithful:

I am installing the cummins 370's and on the starboard install the exhaust extractor has to be modified if the exhaust is to exit without emerging from with either the engine box or from under the cockpit floor. I am sure some of you have had to deal with this on 250 and 330 intalls. What is the best remedy for this? Are there any ready made exhaust adaptor kits that will make the exhaust cope with the tricky starboard manouvers? If so where could I get one made up or at least how have others made this work with their installs? Any help with this would be a huge time saver!

Also, I have heard you guys talk about the ISSPRO fuel senders which are supposed to be good. Do these fit directly on the threaded phlange that the original sender came out of? Also, if there is a specific model by ISSPRO that fits the standard B31 tank please let me know what to ask for and how best to order one as I'll have to send it to Bermuda in the end.

Gentleman i am sure some of you have the critical info for me and I thank you all in advance for yuou help.

Hope all ropes are tight!

Sincerely,

JJ
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

JJ

Talk to me on this one or shoot a photo. The way we set up the 330's was quite simple, especially on the starboard side. Centubes outboard the stringers (these are mufflers made by Centek all of 6" in diameter) through the aft engine bulkhead with fiberglass tube. Exhaust elbow directed slightly aft of down and then custom tubing connected by silicone single hump hose into a short surge tube. If you need a picture I can take one, however the port side is usually the tough one and the starboard the easy one.

Did you run exhausts outside of the outboard stringer?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

JP, Did you and Bob Lico run the same set up exhaust wise? I hope to hear what his sounds like at PT Judith...No noise issues with your exhaust? Still sitting on the fence...you seem to be running long distances only difference is I have the Bahia Mar...My dads buddy had a blackwatch cummins 300's couldnt talk with him unless he stopped...very loud and he wore headphones to save what little hearing he had left. Thanks BH.
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Bob,

I think that all the stbd side applications are very similar. We used the Centubes instead of a traditional muffler. The reason was simply a lack of room, the Centube was only 6" in diameter and fit outboard of the stringer nicely. At idle these sound quite throaty but once your up and running you can only really hear the engines. Even after a considerable amount of sound dampening I think you'll always hear the engines in a B31.

Our port side is plumbed just like the starboard I believe that BL's boat came over the top with a dry exhaust until the bend downward where he added the shower head and water. Each way has its plus and minus. Both Neils have spent allot of time on Chimera and you can talk to them about the noise at the rendezvous, of course if your local you can just jump on for a ride.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
gplume

Post by gplume »

Bermuda Brother -

I am very happy with the ISS sender I bought on the advice of this site. It is extremely accurate, near perfct correlation with my calibrated stck.

For a 231 gallon OEM tank use-

RA9521-ISS ULTIMATE FUEL SENDER 21in  (240 TO 33 OHM) (For Square or Rectangular tanks)

Be sure not to use the mounting screws supplied as the threads are off just a little. Use the screws that you already have.
Giff
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i know this gas sender post is out on a tangent again but i have identical setup and can see within 10 gallons the exact amount of fuel in the tank very,very accurate.
as far as the exhaust question this would be a extremely long post and some of us would object. but lets leave off on this cue. ever make a fire in the fireplace on a 20degree night? did you notice how the fire and smoke roar up the chiminey as oppose to a 60 degree night well thats the chimney effect in internal combustion engine this is the scavenging effect .this is the reason for 41/2" diameter hot pipe (316ss)before sprinkler head as well as the fact your running exhaust on outside of boat to make big fish boxes, rumble is not luck it is calculated. ( the sound of music)------------------hosepower!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473