Steering Problem

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Chuck Fulmer

Steering Problem

Post by Chuck Fulmer »

I have 25 Bertram with V drives. The steering is cable. When the boat is at the dock the wheel turns lock to lock freely. However, when underway at cruise speed, I can turn to starboard with no problem. When turning to port, it take a tremendous amount of effort. When running through the creeks and channels in the keys this makes you pucker and come back to idle. Any Ideas what the problem could be. When I bought the boat the shaft on the port rudder was bent. I had that straightened before I took delivery.

Thanks
Chuck
Buju

Post by Buju »

Hey Chuck! Good to 'hear' from ya...
No authority by any means, but I'll give it a go.
With cable steering, I believe turning stbd is the cable end exiting the helm. Turning port requires the cable end to enter the helm.
If this is correct, then I'd think there is some obstruction on either the threaded cable end, or a problem with the helms gears. A quick visual while someone turns the wheel could reveal telling evidence

...but...

Probably best bet is to replace the helm and cable.
Teleflex NFB is really nice as cable steering goes...
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
RussP

Post by RussP »

Chuck, either the gear in the helm is worn out or the groves on the cable are squashed and causuig extra fricton. Try pulling the cable and checking it out. The other option is excessive play in the rudder table bearings and the rudders are pinching when under way. If it's the helm the no feedback helms work great or upgrade to hydrolic.

Good luck,
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Carl

Post by Carl »

Have someone try to hold the rudder / tiller in position while you turn the wheel dockside. If it's real tight one way I'd suspect your box or cable.
If not maybe the rudder itself is out.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Russ-Someone is trying to get in touch with you on the B-25 site. Look at the thread on the B-25 discussion asking a B-20 question. Walter
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

This is probably silly, but-

the drives do counter-rotate, right? If they both have the same rotation, it will definitely turn easier in one direction than the other under power (don't ask how I know this. I'm not proud of it...)

;{>

Cheers!

John