Wind Screen Advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

moguls2go

Wind Screen Advice

Post by moguls2go »

Does anyone have any advice for a taller windshield/windscreen for the bridge of our FBC vs. the stock venturi screen Bertram originally installed? We're without a top or bimini and I've found that there's an uncomfortable amount of wind on the bridge with the original "wind shield".
Max
Amberjack

Re: Wind Screen Advice

Post by Amberjack »

Max--I had the same issue with the original windscreen on Amberjack--at cruising speed the wind came off the top of the windscreen and hit us right in the face. We took a piece of cardboard and experimented until we found an angle and height that deflected the wind up and over our heads. We cut a pair of angled returns to fit that angle, taped the whole thing into position on the existing windscreen and took it to a plastic fabricator to show them what we wanted. The new windscreen angles a little more upright and extends slightly higher than the original, and it works a whole lot better.

It will take a "can do" plastic fabricator willing to work with a jury rigged pattern like that.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Although extremely rare in the 28, one has to also learn how to dunk in time for the wave to pass over their head, in bad weather...!!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Although extremely rare in the 28, one has to also learn how to dunk in time for the wave to pass over their head, in bad weather...!!
LOL

I have gotten pretty good at doing that.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
dcasey10

Post by dcasey10 »

Max-

I have a slightly taller (2 inches) and more aggressive angle smoke windshield that is new, never installed and low on my list of projects at this point. I also have the brand new mounting hardware, rubber bottom trim, and end caps to complete the mount.

Call me if you want 978-430-9278
Joseph Fikentscher

Re: Wind Screen advice

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

https://www.updplastics.com/

They make a plexi wind screen for the 25 26 and 28, I'm sure they can do a 31. I like the one like the Riva, angled forward. Opens up the bridge and pushes the wind up and over your head. Also looks cool.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]