boat lifts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

boat lifts

Post by Bertramp »

My neighbor in FL bought a boat lift and then changed boats.
Has a 12,000 lb lift ... brand new never installed that he offered at a very good price.
I have a Bahia with gas and lots of COOSA instead of wood, so weight shouldn't be an issue.
I am on Long Island most of the time and boat sits in water at dock behind the house in Florida.
I've always liked the concept of a lift, but also know that the even distribution of weight offered by water as compared to "pressure points" of a lift, probably has merits.

Your thoughts please .....
1970 Bertram Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1973 Bertram 38 (widebody) - hull# BER005960473
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Tommy

Re: boat lifts

Post by Tommy »

Steve,

My neighbor stored his 31 Bahia Mar on a lift for 10 years with no known problems. The key is the proper spacing and length of the longitudinal bunks that support the hull. In this case the bunks ran all the way past the transom so the stern does not have the opportunity to "droop". I would think the width of the bunks should line up with the interior stringers.
Tony Meola

Re: boat lifts

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Not sure how high above the water it lifts, but the one issue I have with lifts, that in a storm surge, or high winds, if she is on the lift, the chance of something happening increase.

If you are in Florida during hurricane season not an issue since you can float her and tie her up. Otherwise, make sure she is really secured to that lift.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315