DIGITAL TACH

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

DIGITAL TACH

Post by Craig Mac »

I know there are some inexpensive photo tachs on the market that read from the flywheel--but came across this one that takes info off sparkplug lead---do you think they are accurate ?

http://answers.northerntool.com/answers ... stions.htm
Navatech

Re: DIGITAL TACH

Post by Navatech »

No reason it shouldn't be accurate... The spark (electrical pulse) travels through the lead, triggers a count by induction and then goes on to the plug where it ignites the mixture (gas and air) in the cylinder... Since any given plug will only spark once every 2 revolution (4 stroke engine) it's a simple matter of multiplying the result by two (will be done by the "chip" in the device)... Since they claim it's suitable for both 2 and 4 stroke engines I'm guessing that there's a setup for you to indicate whether you have a 2 or 4 stroke engine...

The internal battery powers the internal clock, "chip" and memory for the total hours... What would worry me is that in the somebody specifically asks "I want to use it in my boat and I'm wondering if it needs to be installed in a dry area." and the staff's answer is "This Tachometer/Hour Meter should only be used in dry conditions, getting this item wet would make it inoperable."...

So, if you want it for maintenance purposes and installed (permanently or temporarily) close to the engines (the leads provided aren't that long) this would be as good as any other non-marine tachometer... You could put it in some waterproof box... And, if it's going to an internal piloting station I guess it would be just fine... However, if you're thinking about installing this on a flybridge or open (to the elements) piloting station I think you're asking for trouble...
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I am thinking for a temporary basis to check my analog tachs------problem would be distance to bridge--can the leads be extended----electronics is not one of my strong subjects------when I am testing the boat, just want to know the correct rpms and how it compares to my gauges---without having someone down at the motors using a hand held photo tach.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Craig Mac wrote:I am thinking for a temporary basis to check my analog tachs------problem would be distance to bridge--can the leads be extended----electronics is not one of my strong subjects------when I am testing the boat, just want to know the correct rpms and how it compares to my gauges---without having someone down at the motors using a hand held photo tach.
For that purpose you should be OK... The leads can be extended (or so it's claimed in one of the staff's answers...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Those type of tachs are potted in epoxy, so they are water resistant (i.e. you can hose them down, but not submerge). The problem is that since the battery is also potted in epoxy they are disposable when the battery dies (they claim 5 years, but who knows.). I had a Tiny Tach brand on a lawnmower. It worked fine until it died. The problem was that I lost the run time for maintenance purpose, as it doesn't give you a warning of its imminent death.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Is there a wireless option? That would make verifying tachs on the bridge easier.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Just bought one of these to try out.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Black-D ... B006M7GZ04

I assume i can use alligator clips to tap into pos and neg and sender wire under bridge panel. only need to test one engines instruments at a time.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]