Tacking an exhaust manifold gasket in place?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Tacking an exhaust manifold gasket in place?

Post by gplume »

Replacing the exhaust manifold on one of my 504's. Thanks to Jimmy G i have a replacement for the 40 year old beast....and from the looks of the old one that is now out, i was running on borrowed time.

Working on outboard cylinder bank and there is literally no room to work. Ned an extra hand, but there is no room for a helper....this one will take some figuring to get back in. (Hire midget to put the bolds in while i hold it inplace?)

Anyway, on to my question. Generally exhaust gaskets and head gaskets i install dry. However, in this case, replacement gaskets from cummins are now 4 individusl gaskets,(original was one long gasket) and the angle the sit at it bad for having them sut still while in line things up. Looking for suggestions on best material to use to hold exhaust manifold gasket in place. Having never used gasket cement or rtv based sealants in these higher heat applocations, not sure what the best material is that id out there. My old standby is high temp rtv, but not sure that is the right material for this application.

Any suggestions?
Giff
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Tacking an exhaust manifold gasket in place?

Post by Bruce »

if the gasket itself requires no sealer then I always just used 3m automotive trim glue in a tube to hold in place till assembled. It dries fast and holds well.

The other option is to install the bolts/manifold and leave a gap between the head and manifold. cut out the bottom of the bolt hole on the gasket and slide over the bolts and tighten. have done that on exhaust gaskets where they have changed from a single to multiple gaskets.
John F.

Post by John F. »

If the manifold is held on with bolts, it can be a real pia to hold the manifold and try to line up a bolt while also getting the gasket to stay in place, and not spill the obligatory beer. To make it easier, I'd thread a couple of studs in place of bolts, get the manifold on, and then take the studs out and put the bolts back in. The studs give you something to hang the gasket and manifold on, and if you have room, you can use pretty long studs to make the initial install easier because the studs are not getting used in the end anyway. Just an idea
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

What John said...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The gasket changed from a single to four. Studs help with taking the weight of the manifold if you have room to slide it up the stud.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Thanks guys...all good inputs. Kind of reinforces what I was thinking as I had been toying with somthing similar to the stud idea...was going to buy some longer bolts and cut the ends off. I hope i have enough room. This highlights why a straight 6 or a 4 is amuch better engine for a 31.
Giff
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Giff

When I was 25 and all of 125 lbs soaking wet, my father made it my job to wedge my self in there to get the manifolds off. Of course now when I try and get in there my wife tells me I am embarissing myself when I try to get out and find myself stuck.

Just find some kid, about 5'7 and under 130lbs and you should make it.

Otherwise, follow John's advise.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Giff,
Hire a midget with a universal joint for a fore arm.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Been using John's technique for gasket, water pump and transmission installations for a long time. Don't know how or where I heard about it, but it works a treat. By the way, I just use old bolts and circumcise them with a hacksaw.