Mixer freeze plug?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Mixer freeze plug?

Post by Kevin »

I powder coated the mixers. After putting them back together I found a leak. The first photo there is what looks to me like a freeze plug of some sort. It does not appear to be threaded and it is leaking at the point where it is pitted. It is located at the bottom of the mixer right next to where the raw water enters. The anode looks new.

I included the second photo so you can see the condition of where the water enters the exhaust. Some corrosion but it is 7 years old. Can I get that part that looks a freeze plug welded up at the metal shop or is this thing toast?

Over the past couple weeks I have read a lot about mixers and exhaust. Seems as there are lots of poor quality mixers and the diesel techs would rather throw them in the garbage and make new ones. At the expense of a turbo or an engine I would have to agree no short cuts with these things. I am not sure where I stand with quality on these. Turbos look fine to me.
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Mixer freeze plug?

Post by Bruce »

These types of cast elbow mixers should be inspected every five years and if in the condition of your pic, tossed.

Just changed a pair on 06' Yanmar 4LH's. When I removed them, one had just started leaking internal to the exhaust passage. Another few months and a turbo and possible engine freeze would have happened.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thank you Bruce.
So the next question is: Should I get OEM through Steyr or go have custom fabricated ones made at the shop? I am a bit scared of the price, but more scared of catastrophic failure since I am way out of warranty and need to bite the bullet either way.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

changed mine they separate on the inside flange 4LHA STE
$800 per
1968 hull # 316 - 757