Diesel fuel line questions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Diesel fuel line questions

Post by John F. »

In going through and redoing underdeck stuff on Crows Nest, I unscrewed the diesel fuel lines from the filters and tank. Is there any particular type of thread sealant I should use when I screw them back together? It looks like they had some white stuff as thread sealant from the initial install.

The fuel lines are wire mesh reinforced, and the port fuel line was in contact with a protruding bolt. Long story short, the line looked weakened, and when I gave it a twist and yank to see if it was alright, it broke. The bad part of the line is one small spot about 1' from the end of an 8' run or so (from the port filter mounted aft of the tank to the port engine). Do I need a whole new line or can I get a fitting put in and replace just the last foot? All the other lines, including this one, look like they're in good shape.

Thanks
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Rawleigh

Re: Diesel fuel line questions

Post by Rawleigh »

Personally I would just add a foot. The union won't be any weaker than the barb fitting into the fuel filter. Other will disagree, but that is just me. Yes it is one more place for something to go wrong, but the odds are so very low on anything happening and it is not gas..
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Diesel fuel line questions

Post by mike ohlstein »

Stay away from tape sealants. Small bits of tape can clog screens. Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant is pretty good stuff.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315