Bow hatch hinges

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JimmyG

Bow hatch hinges

Post by JimmyG »

OK you think this would be easy, NOT I have to replace the bow hatch hinges and would like to use the same hole pattern but you think I can find them....i checked Mcmaster Carr, West Marine , Jamestown and Googled it and nothing! Anyone ever replace them?
Pete Fallon

Re: Bow hatch hinges

Post by Pete Fallon »

Jimmy G,
Try either Perko or Wilcox Critten(spelling) I replaced mine 20 years ago, the hinges and operators were from Perko, I'm almost positive. They were chrome on bronze units with the black knobs.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Mike, thanks for the link but nothing there, Pete it looks like (hard to see) Getty stamped in the hinge
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Jimmy I hate west marine but I got the replacements for my bow hatch there, mine were totally seized... I still have the packaging... I will take a shot of it when I get back into the boat... They're stainless steel..
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/d ... oduct/321/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think these are the adjusters.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Thanks for the picture Tony but thats the adjuster i'm looking for the exact hinge (or same hole pattern) Getty is stamped in it, the hinge holds the hatch on see attached picture the hole pattern is unique where the center hole is inward not outward of the other 2 holes

Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Jimmy... These are the ones I have..... They're west marine... The center hole is a little off but with some gentle modification it shouldn't be a problem...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

winner winner chicken diner ....thank you
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Jimmy a talented glass guy like you should think about molded in hinges. Take any pair of quality 316ss and mold them in from backside no screws show either side real custom. I do not have good photo but you can see from this photo same is done to engine hatches.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Clean look when engine hatch is down. Upper part of hinge molded to hatch.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Nice, BTW I want that rocket launcher! I just found a bran new 80# Pompanette fighting chair on ebay for less then half of a new one now I have find a rocket launcher for it. Bob are those engines 330's? What gears are you running and one last question what is cruise and WOT?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

The rocket launcher is the best part of the cockpit,my son rigs and re rigs all the rods from here then puts into troll position so he does not have the danger of rigging from gunnel holds 4rods plus 4 on side of chair,made by Tracy .engine are 330hp cummins cruise 30 and depending on cruise/ economy props. will go 36 + Wot. I removed Yanmars and replaced with cummins 2006.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

The gears are ZF 220 Irm in 1.53 ratio. Numerous experimental props. The object is to utilize the enourmas torque difference between the Yanmars and cummins and build a prop. To give better performance or fantastic fuel economy .i have run them hard since 2006 and 0 maintenance other then spin on fuel,oil filter,zincs,one coolant change.here she is at 36 as witness by 12 of us at northeast rendezvous Harry barb doing the driving.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Bob, my main concern with the 1:53 gears is that I mainly White Marlin fish natural baits at 4-6 knots can you go that slow? I had 2:1 on my 315 LP's 30 knt cruse 33WOT with 20 x 23 3 blade Acme forged Nibral props and i could troll in that 4-6 knot range with no problem
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Jimmy, I got a great deal on a Scopinich chair. Couldn't locate a rocket launcher and ordered one new from Scopinich. 4 rod holders done in teak was under $1,500 about a 3rd what I paid for the chair..

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Jimmy as you know my boat is " trick out" so I could only give you a close estimate and most of the trick stuff is above 20 kt. Any way. 315/330 cummins with 1.53 gears will do 4.2 to 4.6 knt. At idle with one engine in gear.and attain 32 knt wot with 21"dia,23.5 pitch and number 5 cup.this is with normal Bertram tower. OEM shaft log,about 13,500 lbs no weight on bow and no tabs.both engines in gear at idle about 5.2 knots.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Thanks Bob, I had my Yanmars for 10 years without a problem and would use them again if I could buy them at reasonable price but $31,000.00 each not a chance so I may go with the Cummins
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Jimmy you were lucky .what makes you think a aluminum housing and aluminum pulley with a belt is going to hold up? We have five in the shop .tottally humble to disgruntled customer $3,400 for new head cat,John Deere,cummins less then half that price and available in 3 day's.here's some photo's

Look at the imprints of valves on piston .every other diesel is steel gears driving cam,injection pump,water pump what the hell were they thinking.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

look at aluminum housing on right of engine (you got to be kidding) on a diesel in harsh salt water condition with heat and cold temperatures.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Bob, is that a cooling water breech between fire ring and cooling port on block (our RH front of engine) too ? Looks like stain runs to front of block? At least Yanmar didn't drive water pump with timing belt! Wouldn't that have been job security for marine techs.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Rocky I speak for the entire maintenance dept. the years 1988 to 2004 were great for boat sales at OYC , they sold a slew of luhr's powered by Yanmars and they all came here for maint . the boss man now made the yard dedicated to 28' plus outboard boats because the maintenance is huge with huge numbers on 250,300 350hp Yamaha,mercury,Suzuki . There is 36 acres here 39 in the other yard and 4 on the highway to take on 20 or more 36' center consoles with triple engines at a time with trailor .Well the yard did not expect this Yanmar breakdowns I should say $10,000 repair bills . These people are friends and drink at the tiki bar .you want to crawl in a hole when you tell them there bill. Yanmar prices are even twice that of Volvo if you can believe that ,they could care less about there product pricing reputation.when those belts go slack total catastropic results.valves hitting piston and destroying head.none of the other marine diesels share this stupid design as well as cartridge oil filter ( gone from America since1968) fan belt gone since 1984 all for $10,000 more then the competition 300 to 350 hp.yea but it's lighter " thank God they were not making parachutes"
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Oh wow I didn't know the problems were so severe at such a high volume of failures. Well, I'm going with 6BTA so should be good to go when the day I get them comes. I wish I could do more mechanical things on this Bert as the whole paint/bodywork thing is not my cup of tea! Sorry Jimmy I realized were supposed to be talk'n hinges!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Rocky these engines are plus or minus 12 years old relatively low hours so I should think metal fatigue especially aluminum has taken it's toll. I say this because the 36' and 35' had 440" Yanmars and are plague with with failure due to aluminum mount for water pump.you cannot make this stuff up .A 36' luhr's with 440" Yanmars do you think the owner gives a flying fu-k about saving 5 pounds!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473