Emotions of the past

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Emotions of the past

Post by Harry Babb »

Last week Chris and I went to a convention in Orlando Florida.

We saved a day to ride over to the Kennedy space center for a brief visit.

He and I hopped on a bus tour that took us past many of the "Launch Pads" as the driver entertained us with lots of historical facts.

As Chris and I strolled thru the museum we talked and he asked lots of questions about the development of the space age. Obviously I grew up in the 60's and had lots of thoughts and memories to share.

I have to say that the entire experience was quite enlightening as well as somewhat emotional.

Living in todays culture and thinking of the 60's the one thought kept coming to my mind was that back in the 60's our country was in termoil dealing with Vietnam, presidential assination, the sexual revolution, political unrest, riots and revolutions......but as I remember those times we as a society were a "Proud Society"

I remember when rockets were launched the nuns at our school made sure that we watched and cheered as our astronauts were propelled into space. I remember that my family and I were visiting realitives in New Orleans when Neil Armstrong stepped out onto the moon. I remember people listening to the raido broadcast of the Lunar walk and everybody cheering when Walter announced that Neil had actually set foot on the moon.

I remember going to Pensacola Buggy Works the day that the new cars were unvieled every year. This event was a "Big Deal" and the car lot was swarming with people.......I particualrly remember the 64 Chevelle....

My memory is that, even though our nation was in turmoil, folks were "Charged" and willing to fight to make a difference.

I left the Kennedy Space Center last week, feeling very proud to have lived and witnessed the 60's and 70's.....the space program and the 64 Chevelle! ! ! !

hb
hb
Pete Fallon

Re: Emotions of the past

Post by Pete Fallon »

Harry,
Truer words were never spoke so well. As a product of the 60's I went through much of the same things. The 63 Sting Ray split rear window, my first car was a used 1965 Mustang Convertible with a six cylinder with a four speed on the floo, my second car was 1968 Plymouth Road Runner with a 426 Hemi and a Hurth 411 rear end off the show room floor for $3,200 traded in the Mustang and $1200 cash. Road Runner clutch was so hard my wife couldn't drive it and no power steering, 32 cent 98 octane Sunoco gas. Getting my draft notice a week after I joined the National Guard in 1966, then almost going to Viet Nam away. Working for $57.00 a week for the telephone company and 4 years later leaving for the fire dept, telephone company went on strike and after a 24 week strike they settled for a dollar less than when we went out. Also watching moon landing at Camp Drum in upstate NY that night and the next day it was 113 degree heat during the day. Buying a pack of Marlboro cigarettes for 25 cents. Seeing my first Blue Fin being caught on a friends old Hatteras 975 pounds on the troll in Ipswich Bay.
Driving my parents back and forth to Florida every winter and spring for 8 years. Fishing out of Honest John's canals near Sebastian Inlet and catching 8 to 10 pound sea trout all day long on live shrimp.
Watching all the national turmoil on TV went there were only 4 channels in Boston. Voting for George McGovern for president not tricky dick. Having both sets of grand parents die within a year of each other. You learned that nobody was going to give you anything unless you worked hard for it. And sweating you butt off in a summer job that today would have been outlawed by OSHA. Going to concerts ranging from the Letterman to Jimi Hendrix, and watching Eric Clapton play at a frat party
Not thinking about buying 31 Bertram's but seeing them going by in the Salem/ Marblehead arbors,
I was sailing Stars and 110 's back then. I'm with you Harry those were the days my friend and we thought they would never end.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You both brng back a lot of memories. Guys going down to the industrial complex at 1 in the morning and drag racing. Just wanting to hang out and have a beer with friends. Summers up at Lake George. Watching the hippy generation go by.

Not a care in the world, but the most important part is that we respected others.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:You learned that nobody was going to give you anything unless you worked hard for it.
Unfortunately, somebody taught you wrong… See my other thread in Politics: http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;