Close encounters of the wrong kind

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

Close encounters of the wrong kind

Post by bob lico »

This is my best time of the year ,I love the cold air of the fall both on the water and the north woods. Late fall striper and blackfish with no boat traffic.the real call to nature is the woods for black bear and trophy deer.i went to a extremely remote camp seven miles off the closes road in the northern ny near a small town called boonsville . Plenty of firewood precut for the wood stove kept the cabin warm,and a outhouse what more could you want.my partner on point notice a rise on the forest floor cover with leaves ,we investigate ,not sure what to make of it he spots something and jumps up and down well out comes this pissed off huge bear roaring and snarling --------- three shots later with the 35 Whelen down goes this 418 pound monster. He came within 6' !! I think bow hunting on shelter island will be a lot less dangerous with the benefit of electricity and a running water.tuesday going deep for offshore wreck bottom fishing--------- out
Last edited by bob lico on Nov 26th, '13, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Re: Close encounters of the wrong kind

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

That bear might seem mild if you mean your going off tomorrow. Going to be worse than a bear out there.

Stay safe. By the way, I guess after that bear jumped up, the out house was not needed.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Tony i am reading 2' to 4' waves off Long Island out to 20 miles at fire island inlet. I will take another look before I shove off . Not a charter The rain does not really matter for bottom fishing can delay till next Monday / Tuesday. I was totally taken by surprise with that bear ,in retrospect probally just going into pre - hibernation .really a month early in this region.snow wise the weather has been nothing on south shore of Long Island had to go north to Vermont for snow in recent years man made snow in most of ny ski areas most people I know like the snow as much as summer beach weather.grandchildren skiing down hill slopes at eight years old.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

I have a feeling you will have plenty of local snow this year.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Unfortunately Does not do much for me anymore knees injure cannot ski and snowmobiles are gone . Snow is just for viewing with roaring fire in fireplace. I will go sledding with grandchildren but that's about my limit to thrilling adventures. " it is better to love and lost then never to love at all".
capt.bob lico
bero13010473