Transmission Pressure Loss

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Woods

Transmission Pressure Loss

Post by Harry Woods »

After a 2-1/2 hour run this morning I pulled back on the throttles. When I powered up again, the starboard transmission lost all pressure. Ran on the other screw for a half-hour waiting for calmer water and checked the likely suspects. No oil in bilge, none out the exhaust and dipstick clear,clean and full. Restarted the engine and pressure resumed and performed as if nothing happened. Had a similar problem about seven years ago that the mechanic diagnosed as oil foaming and changed it with non-detergent oil. No problem from then to now. Ant ideas on what caused this? Did the slipping damage the gear? I am running Twin-Disc behind Yanmars. Thanks in advance for your help.
Harry
bob lico

Re: Transmission Pressure Loss

Post by bob lico »

I would think there is a piece of sludge in filter due to the fact you back down this release it against the screen. Time to do the right thing remove oil from dip stick!! Time to remove bottom 23 mm bolt from gears with shallow baking tray. Replace with 30 weight NON DETERGENT oil.remove filter and clean first.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Bob,
Thanks for your help. Do you know of anyone that services these units on the island?
Harry
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Wow did I screw up that post; suppose to read do not remove oil from dip stick remove from oil removal bolt on bottom rear of gears for that matter never, never remove oil thru the dip stick unless you intend to " dump" the boat the following week real stupid no other explanation needed.
Long Island transmission in deer park owner Paul ( your friends with bob lico) 631-252-5757
capt.bob lico
bero13010473