Strut Reinforcement Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Strut Reinforcement Question

Post by JohnV8r »

When my deck is out for my repower, what is the most efficient way to reinforce the strut backing? I reviewed the article on the old site about the weak strut backing. However, I don't have any damage and would simply like to reinforce the strut backing while I have easy access. Would glassing an oversized composite panel (like the composite rudder shelf panels on the old site) above the struts create enough extra rigidity to disperse an impact at the weak point of the hull?

If so:

1) What is the footprint of the composite panel that is needed to add the strength to prevent a hull breach from the strut, and

2) Would a composite panel made of two 1/2" plywood sheets per the composite rudder shelf instructions on the old site secured to the hull with 24 oz woven roving provide the strength needed to reinforce the hull?

Thanks in advance.
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Strut Reinforcement Question

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

There is no "old" or "new" sight other than the periodic up grade to the bulletin board...

Just skip over the hole repair and pick up with making the strut pads and pvc drain race. Epoxy glass the pads with 1208 biaxle fabric.

http://bertram31.com/proj/struts/strut_backing.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JohnV8r

Re: Strut Reinforcement Question

Post by JohnV8r »

Thanks Patrick!
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built