Fiberbrite ???

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John C

Fiberbrite ???

Post by John C »

Any one ever tried this product? Looks like it would be good for pannels, skins, etc. Looks stronger then pvc board and needs no paint..google fiberbrite..american fiber in Ct.
Peter

Post by Peter »

John,

I have not actually constructed anything with FiberBrite, but I did get a few samples of the stuff.

It is essentially flat panels of random strand fiberglass layed up in Polyester resin. The surface finish isn't bad, glossy and smooth to the touch, but you can see it is random strand when you look closely at it. A little like the look of fiberglass components made with a chopper gun, but better ....although definately not a mirror smooth finish.

The manufacturer's use of different names for the various thicknesses can make it sound like each name is a completely different product but in fact they are all the same stuff (except the .25 thick which I'll get to in a moment.)

The .045" thick sample I have (they call it "Econo Plus") is pretty flexible and could be bent to I'd guess a 5" radus (ten inch diameter) pretty easily making it a reasonable choce for some of the curvier details that seem to find their way into boats. I'm particularly intrigued with the idea of using some of this stuff to finish off the back of lockers or cabinets where a little bend would help the unit fit in against the hull.

The .095 thick stuff is called "Original" and is about what you would expect of it. Ditto the .135 thickness "Survivor." Either could certainly be useful as a basic construction material, although I wouldn't trust the random strand thing in a seriously stressed critical part.

The .250 thickness "Tuff Stuff" is actually two .060 thickness skins with some sort of plastic corrigated core. I can't say if the corrigated core is polyetheline or PVC. The core makes this panel quite stiff for its weight, but you would have to plan on hiding the cut edges somehow.

They have available, but I did not get in my sample pack, a .060 thick version called "Value Plus."

On the subject of general materials I got a catalog the other day that no boatyard or serious workshop should be without:
US plastics

There is a ton of good stuff in there from UHMW poly to Teflon to PVC sheets and extruded rods and angles...plastic valves large and small, acryllic sheet...and there is other good stuff too like plastic storage bins, food containers, work matts, buckets, bins and even shovels! It goes on and on and on.

You say you want to make a large acryllic plastic window that slides open on Teflon pads and is neatly finished around the edges with a nice plastic extrusion? This place is your source!

http://www.usplastics.com

Any serious DIY'er or shop owner needs this catalog.

Peter
Peter

Post by Peter »

One last thing... I'm pretty sure that Fiber Brite is available through

http://www.harborsales.com

They are also a source for a lot of other good sheet material like Komacel anf King Starboard.

Peter
John C

Post by John C »

Thanks Peter, I need to re do the top and bottom skins on my marlin tower. Right now there is 2mm alum. sheet tired of dealing with the corrision where the s/s screws contact the alum.. John