paint color survey

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

paint color survey

Post by JohnCranston »

I need some help, guys. I'm getting real close to finishing up the Reel Cowboy redo, and after 5 years of bouncing around, the fighting lady yellow has taken some bumps and bruises, and needs to be re-sprayed. The question is, I have a white bottom, white boot stripe, white top sides, black Stamoid fabric on the half tower and black on the tuna towerwith gold rod holders.I have the choice of changing colors as far as the hull sides, and was wondering, maybe, if sea foam green might be a better choiceinstead of the yellow. I remember at the last UVI that there was a bahia mar there that was painted a mint green that everyone was impressed with. Can anyone be more specific with the exact color that boat was. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

That's Gale Culp's Bahia and the color is Sea Mint or a close variation...

Opps -- I ment Sea Foam....

Br,

Patrick
Last edited by CaptPatrick on Jan 15th, '12, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Sea foam green would be my choice.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

john
the last pic i saw of real cowboy it was sea foam green. lol
1968 hull # 316 - 757
martinciarpella

Post by martinciarpella »

In my opinion.......Sea foa green is a color that is gonna lose its appeal real quick in the comin years.................IMO we picked the perfect color ,l and that is white.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

not crazy about sea foam green, prefer the lighter minty greens
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I would have never guessed it, but Gale Culp's Bahia was breathtaking when when I saw at Port Eads. More than nice.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Walter,

Thanks for the images of Gail's Bahia!

In Memory Walter K

Damn! Those were great weeks!
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

6 years ago I had everything in seafoam , even the underwear of my wife !!! ( not shown) :)

[/img]Image

[/img]
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
randall

Post by randall »

nice gert!!!...on all counts.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Brews boat really jumps out at you in a harbor...he has two shades of green..Mr. Culips bahia mar have a white top?
Im gonna tip my hand...Im leaning towards a light grey... I want an "all business look"...have a picture of her in my head now Ive just got to finish it...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Trey Dibrell

Post by Trey Dibrell »

I believe the color on Gail's boat is "Aqua Mist". It is an Awl Grip stock color #H4365. I painted my 17 Whaler with it, and really like it. "Sea Foam" is a much darker green.

Trey Dibrell
Galveston, TX
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Gert

Those colors were nice. Even the engines. That is cool.

John, check out Gert's grey. I still think that was sharp and different.

Tony
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory Walter K

Bob-The top of the boat was white as in the picture. The tower instrument box as well as the fighting chair are matching green.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

OK guys,
Thanks for the responses...a big thanks to Charlie...lol. Thanks Walter for the pics, and, thanks Trey for the color match. After Pam looked at Gale's bahia, and, after looking at Awlgrip sea foam green, she decided to go with the aqua mist. I hate to copy Gale, but, if you can't beat them, then, join them.
I remember that Ernest really liked the color of Gale's boat. Thanks again.
John.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

John,
The lighter the color of the hull the less prep work is needed, you have fighting lady yellow now. Any of the sea foam green, aqua mist blue, light grey or white would work and requires less prep work. The darker you go the more fairning has to be done, more fairing the more money in prep work. My 1961 is white re-gel coated in 1995, when I bought her in 1978 the previous owner had tried to paint the hull himself with 2 part urathane paint, the prep work wasn't good, I wanted to repaint the hull navy blue, we shot one side with navy blue in 1979 it looked like a wash board. Needless to say it was re-painted white, it looked OK but I wasn't happy until we stripped all the old paint off and re-gel coated the hull. After 13 years the gel still shines like it was just done. I have been using Star Brite Teflon Marine polish twice a year since the re-gel coat. The side and forward deck and house sides need to be redone after 13 years we shot it with Awlgrip 508 back in 1995. So the lighter the color the less prep work, equals less money out of pocket.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Pete,
I hear ya. My paint person won't warranty dark colors...black, red, dark blues and greens. Thanks for the advice, Pete.
John.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Gert,
Ya got me on the floor rolling here... you definitely seem to be a person that is "All In or Nothing".

John,
For what it's worth...Mint, Mist, Foam, Sea Foam...not my thing...although it still looks great, just think other colors bring out the look.

Guess thats why they have pages of colors...everyone has their thing.

Carl
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Did someone say a green B31? I like Green -- mine was Imron, with gold metallic.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Gert, his boats, engines, heck even his wife all look like they belong in The DuPont Registry, that pic with the champagne bottle says it all.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

All B31s should be painted white, period. A little teak trim in the cockpit or on the covering boards is fine to beak up the all-white, but let's face it, these are not "trick boats".

UV
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

You must have had a refreshing week away UV? You are back and by God you've got an opinion!!! ;)

Gert I have scoured the photos a dozen times and can't find the seafoam panties?
Last edited by MarkS on Jan 18th, '12, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

A friend was building a custom carolina -- C&L 55' -- when I asked him what color, he quoted the following;

"If it ain't white, it's wrong."
In Memory Walter K

To say it's personal is an understatement.
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

TailhookTom wrote:"If it ain't white, it's wrong."
I used to know a guy who refused to go out in a white boat. He had a 28 Bert that he painted Blue. To each their own.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Tony:

As you can see in my avatar, mine was Imroned in bright green, dark green transom, yellow stripes and purple highlights on the trim.

I never colored within the lines, and never will!

Tom
Buju

Post by Buju »

Gert is my hero... what boat is that Gert? Pretty lines, modern and nostalgic simultaneously.

I like seafoam, juxtaposed with a white bottom and boot. Goes great with black accents as well. Three Awlgrip colors you cannot go wrong with in my opinion: Ice Blue, Seafoam, and Fighting Lady Yellow... all classics.
Ended up doing my skiff in Seafoam:
was pleased with the outcome...
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Great looking ride Buju..who is the builder? BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Buju

Post by Buju »

Thanks Bob.
It's a Sidewinder, one of I believe twelve they built as a saltwater flats skiff. They were very popular speed & skiboats in the late 60's and throughout the 70's. In the early 70's Dolphin boats and Shipoke splashed the Sidewinder hull and began putting out a good number of flats skiffs. The Sidewinder folks caught wind of it (along with 15+ other builders that were outright cloning the speedboat hull and caps- a lot of litigation involved) and produced a very small number of flats skiffs that were shipped down to S FL to get custom built decks. mine was owned by Carl Navaree (Cheeca lodge owner) and was captained by George Hommel (World Wide Sportsman founder) she was used to fish a lot of big name clients, have seen pics of G.Bush Sr on her with a bonefish... I betcha Mr Brownlee knows a thing or two about them, I know Hal Chittum and Billy Pate owned them as well.
Here she is before I cut off her head
Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack... ask me a simple question and ohhh boy
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Since I had to sand off all the crappy paint job the previous owner (a doofus) rolled on I have been agonizing about the hull color I will paint my B33 FBC for the better part of a year now. I really like the pale greens and blues, but I just can't bring myself to select one of these.. I suspect with a larger hull these colors might appear (at least to me) to be too garish.. not really the impression I want to create... (maybe garish is too harsh a word, but hopefully you know what I mean.. maybe "extreme" is a better word).

I decided to let the Admiral make the final color decision.. she is a better decorator than I am, and I figured if she chose the colors she would never be able to complain about them!

I showed her the AwlCraft 2000 color card and took her to a few marinas to look at a variety of boats.

She chose Fighting Lady Yellow for the hull and an off white for the deck and above. Whew.. this combo was my personal first choice!

Yesterday I essentially completed the prep work for the paint job.. about 325 hours of sanding off the old paint, fairing, priming, sanding the primer with 120 grit, fairing again, priming again, fairing again, sanding the second coat of primer with 180 grit, fairing again, touch up priming, and light final sanding with 180 again followed by a light sanding with 320 grit.

What have I learned that I did not know before? That I hate sanding!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Frank,
I'm kind of like a kid in a candy store...don't no which way to go...I think that after long consideration that we'll end up going back with the fighting lady yellow. On the color charts, is there much of a difference between the Awlgrip and the 2000?
Keep up the good work, Frank.
John.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Hello John..

I have seen you here ever since I came here, but I don't think we have ever "talked" directly before.

The colors of the AwlGrip and AwlCraft 2000 are identical, cause they use the same color chart. The AwlCraft 2000 can only be sprayed, and is supposed to be easier to apply. It is softer than AwlGrip, but is easier to touch up.

My painter only uses AwlCraft 2000 these days unless the customer insists on something else.

Hope this helps!
Frank B
--------------
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks Frank,
I think that we talked a couple of times on the phone a few years back...I think that you had some info on some new Cummins engines that you gave me, and, I think that you were building a super nice house in NC...could that be right?
Thanks.
John.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

John...

You are correct! I had forgotten about that! The memory fades once you reach my age! Now.. what were we talking about?

I am psyched to be so close to painting! My major project now is doing a very thorough cleaning of all the bare surfaces so I remove as much dust as possible. I still have to do some masking (mostly the aluminum frame over the flybridge and the handrails). At the present time, with the spots of white gel coat showing through the grey primer, she looks like a Dalmation!

I am committed to being bach in the water by spring.. I can't wait! Neither can my 11 and 8 year old grandkids!
Frank B
--------------