wow!!!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

wow!!!!

Post by bob lico »

anybody who has ever fished on a 31bertram would have to appreciate the photo on page 51 of the new issue of marlin magazine.stunning photo. of a 31bertram doing her thing !!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Great shots.

Did you read the article about the Canyon boys from NJ? The article tells us what we have done to our oceans. I always heard stories from the old timers of Catching Marlin within 20 miles of the beach. This article metnions about how they would catch white marlin within 15 miles and move out to 20 miles for bigger fish.

They did not need to go to the Canyon in those days. That says a lot.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I never heard about the Marlins being in so close, but I recall my Dad going for Giants and doing very well only a few miles from the dock 20-30 which was only 10-15 miles off the Jersey beach. Today I rarely seen anything so close and giants have gotten so much smaller.
For years I thought it was normal to leave for school with Bluefin tails hanging out of the back of the family station wagon as they got a few hours of snooze time before heading off to market.

Bob, can you scan the article and pics?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sim there are actually 3 pages of 31 bertram`s fighting big marlin . page 49,50 and 51 of the new issue.tony you had to love the mention of a" speed demon" Wheeler making 17knt. to the canyon. 15 miles out of bannagat and your into white marlin. might be some legal ramifications posting pictures from a new issue of marlin.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Back in mid 80, we had them 30 miles off the beach for a short period. Picked up a couple back then. So if the waster is right , 15 miles is possible. More tha one of the old timers have told me stories of the fish being in that close.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i went to the Paconic sportsmans club today a one time club for the "top 1%"that what they are called today this is the old woolsworth estate on 600 acres of eastern long island. anyways there on the wall is a grandur blue marlin 1012 lbs caught outside fire island inlet in the mid 1950 era.along with giant bluefin,700lbs swordfish. wow i wish i caught a glimps of this as a child!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

addition to above post; turn of the century club for rockerfellow,vanderbilt,kaiser and the other millionaires in there day. restored to 1908 vintage has skeet,trap,pistol range and 50,100,200 and 500 yard rifle range, unbelievable archery range with full size deer targets.every know species of wild game /fish mounts in trophy room like 80'x60'.the lodge is on a bass/trout stocked lake by NY-dec.forming headwaters to Peconic river.any body interested they have guess tickets.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473