Need some red dot rifle sight advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Need some red dot rifle sight advice

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I have a Marlin model 99 .22 automatic my dad left me that has a trashy Tasco scope that is useless. I want to put a red dot sight on it - will use it around the camp for plinking and snake control. The rifle's reciever has the dovetail groves for a scope mount. I have low vision and need a pretty bright dot to be able to see it, don't need any magnification. I stopped by Bass Pro last week and they had one they let me look thru and it was almost too bright - but super easy to see the dot from any angle or distance from the sight...I loved it but they wanted $479.50 for the little bugger.....I was so stunned I didn't even notice the brand, just bolted for the door clutching my wallet.

I see them on line for $50 bucks or so. I'd appreciate a recc. from the Faithful on brand, vendor, and also the correct mount to fit the family heirloom 22.

Thanks, as usual.

UV
scot

Post by scot »

UV,

I put a Bushnell 730132 red dot on my Ruger 223 mini 14. I love it. It has 3 levels of brightness in either red (day) or green (night). At 1X power the target acquisition is instant, there is no eye relief requirement...so any way you are holding the rifle, you can use the scope. I believe my ran $180 bucks at Academy. Certainly not $50 bucks, but a long way from nearly $500.

Put one on that Marlin and it would be a critter-getter.This is the one I have;

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes ... t/730132P/
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks Scot....little rich for my blood maybe. This is the one I was looking at, will fit my 3/8" dovetail groves.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CDsQ8wIwAw#

It's about $30 at a couple of places. Guess its made by little chinese kids for a buck a week? My only worry is whether the dot is bright enough on this one....does not seem to have a brightness adjustment listed, maybe I'll look further. And the Airsoft ones are $9, but plastic - but the reviews seem to say they hold up a lot better than you'd think for 9 bucks.

UV, the thrifty (a/k/a cheap SOB)
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

UV,

http://www.csnstores.com/Tasco-Rimfire- ... O1026.html

Heres a decent little unit that should work fine.

Anything cheaper than that you'll gonna have a hard time keeping zero and being bright.

http://swfa.com/Tasco-Red-Dot-Sights-C203.aspx

This web site shows the dot display. Its the middle one. Top site is cheaper in cost.
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, Bruce, just ordered one. I like the adjustable brightness. I assume that mount will just slip right on the groves in my reciever?

UV
scot

Post by scot »

UV,

Let me know how you like it. I have a Marlin 22 I would like to put something on. Limb rats have over run my hood.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Yes it does. Its made for the narrower .22 dove tails.
In Memory of Vicroy

Just got the Tasco Bruce recc'ed and mounted it on the Marlin 99 - a snap, the only tool you need is a coin. The sight is amazingly well made for 31 bucks - all metal and nice and tight. The red dot brightness is adjustable in 11 steps but I find the brightest is best and easy to see in direct sunlight - no problem to see even with my pitiful, macular degeneration wracked eyes. Also appears to have very little parallax.....dot does not move much when you move your head around. I'll zero it in tomorrow at the camp and report how it shoots, but I can assure that you will be pleased with the quality for the short money and how easy it is to see - just throw the rifle up and its right there, big ole bright red dot.

Next will be one for my Remington 1100 shotgun - I still can hunt ducks but sorta point the barrel rather than focus on the bead sight since I can't really see it...there are several red dot sights made for shoot-gun and I gotta have one......

Thanks, Bruce - its gonna make my family heirloom .22 a snake killing machine.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Anytime.
In Memory of Vicroy

Took 9 rounds to zero it in....first group of 3 a little low and right, so clicked left and up - the clicks are very precise and positive, no slop - second group centered but still a little low, and the thrid group was in the bulls eye. The damn sight is silly simple to use and accurate as hell....and I forgot how powerful a 22 long rifle is...my target was a paper plate nailed to a huge 3 X 16 timber I'd fished out of the canal....leaned it up against a piling on my dock and had at it....damn bullets went slap thru the timber into my piling...

Some of my camp neighbors saw the sight and after a few shots with it gotta have one too, so I'm ordering a couple more. Fun, fun, fun little gadget.

UV