Depth finder ??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Depth finder ??

Post by Carl »

So I just painted the bottom and noticed the transducers was not solid. Gave a tug, and now it's in two pieces...better to find out now then when I get splashed in.

So I was just going to get another transducer for my ol Furunl FCV-661... I have a spare unit too... But it's big and never been a huge fan of the unit. I thought this would be my chance to get that digital Raymarine I picked out for dad a couple years ago...really liked it, smallish at 7" and great for my limited dash area.

Just called to order and now all they have is the BIG displays or little combo units. So now what?...any preferences on a small unit, I love the digital, don't have the room or pockets for a large display. My chartplotter is a combo, with depthfinder, it is good as a backup but want a Good depthfinder, something, compact that will last awhile, I really thought the Raymarine was going to be it...Gotta pick something up soon so I can be launched.

Thanks,
Carl
Dug

Post by Dug »

Carl,

Whats your phone # again???

D
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug,
Again, thanks. I appreciate the information.

I checked Simrad out, but Simrad had the same choices as RayMarine, Big Screen or Bigger Screen. Only two good companies left making smaller dedicated fishfinders, Si-Tex and Furuno.

I did take your advice about the dual frequency...went with the Furuno FCV620, small 5.6" screen, dual frequancy, digital and bought a fllush mounted 20deg transducer...bronze so no more broken ducers to plague me. Plus it is flush mounted, so I should pick up several knots with the reduced drag ( I could always hope ).

Good speaking with you,
Carl