Cold weather diesel additive question?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Cold weather diesel additive question?

Post by Dug »

Hey guys,

It took me two hours to make a 15 minute run in the truck today. Dad didn't plug it in yesterday, and it was a high of something like 8 degrees yesterday, and it was about 10 this morning.

I made it about 1/2 mile from the house and it just died. After about 1/2 an hour, it started again, and ran for another 1/2 mile. I met two state policemen along the way who were very nice, and had a great and constant chat with the towing company who did'nt really want to tow it because its a full bed with extended cab and the plow is on it.

Long story short, anyone have any recommendations for fuel additives? Specifically for winter. I use Stanadyne in the boat, and have heard good things, seen negligable differences, but don't know if that is what I want.

Any advice? It was an interesting, and cold morning to say the least!

Dug
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

Any advice?
yell at dad for not plugging it in yesterday. lol
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

I occasionally use seafoam additive anti-gel... Just make sure that you use something without alcohol in it...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Kerosene is what the truckers use in the arctic, mix about 6 parts diesel to one part kerosene.

Don't ask me how I know.....

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

Kerosene is an option for sure!

Charlie, already did that. He was very apologetic. I figure we both learned as he would have been even less happy had it happened to him.

John, cool. Thanks!

One thing I have heard so far is that there is a product called Diesel 911 for situations just like this. I have some coming. It is by a company called Power Service.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yes, kerosene
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Dug

Post by Dug »

How much kerosene? Say a gallon a tank? Less, more?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

What ever you have in the tank in gallons or put in at the pump divide by 6 and thats the kerosine required.

Example if you had 20 gallons, 1/6 would be 3.333333 gallons of kerosine.

And for Gods sake, don't add any ammonium nitrate.

Or buy some Prist low flo additive. Its used in Jet fuel for altitude.
Last edited by Bruce on Jan 25th, '11, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

DO NOT get caught pumping Kero directly into your truck. There's no road tax on the Kero.

Fill a few 5 gallon jugs and do it at home.

In the garage.

At night.

With the 100 watt lights out.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Its not against the law...............unless your caught.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Gotcha! All good to know. A solid and fair disclaimer!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Power Service 911 is to degel what you have in the tank. Use that to get going but use Power Service winter formula for the next tanks. many truckers use kerosene or #1 diesel mixed with the standard # 2 diesel.

Go easy on your Dad, because if you fuel is gelling plugging it in wouldn't help much. They usually gel in the rail mounted fuel filter housing since it is away from the engine heat.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

I hear ya Rawleigh. Its good to tease Dad. He would be pretty merciless if the tables were turned. :)

The block heater only heats the block. Not the filter, or the tank... or the fuel lines.

Hey, he kept the tank full, and thats a good thing.

It'll be fine now. I think we have it.

Dad did have compliments for how I handled the situation. He said if it had happened to him, he would have been bleeding at the ears...

D
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Dug,
The block heater will also keep you from snapping the pump shaft..ask me how I know..had a brand new John Deere loader no block heater from factory...had a big storm on a -2 day...hit the starter...nothin..primed it pulled of fuel lines..still nothin..called deere..sent tech....just enough water/gelled fuel at pump...presto starter snapped pump..Next day block heaters in..hooked up to a pool timer goes on 3-5 hours before I get to work..never start a diesel ice cold..Kerosene will keep you from gellin the fuel in the tank...Bertram related...block heaters on both my engines..an old time charter captain has 12000 hours on his cummins...he swears by starting warm engines...and it keeps the bilges good and dry..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?