generator or inverter?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JWW

generator or inverter?

Post by JWW »

what are thoughts on inverator over generator for house power? will have a/c small microwave, refergator,& maybe tv i think this is doable based on motorhome i have seen thoughts please thanks JWW
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Generator - 3 cyl. Phasor diesel 1800 rpm.....if gas, Westerbeke makes a neat little one.

What engines do you have? Space considerations depend on engines.

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

I am with Vic but I have an inverter and it covers most of that. with the inverter you will need an 8-D house battery but it is the best option if you don't need AC (Air conditioning). If you need AC the inverter is not an option. Not enough umph. With AC you will need the genset.

Otherwise an inverter will work fine.

But I do covet the genset. He has a sweet one...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: generator or inverter?

Post by mike ohlstein »

JWW wrote:what are thoughts on inverator over generator for house power? will have a/c small microwave, refergator,& maybe tv i think this is doable based on motorhome i have seen thoughts please thanks JWW
Many class A motorhomes have four 8D batteries for inverter power, and only use them because the campgrounds have noise restrictions after a certain hour in the evening. Otherwise they wouldn't bother with the weight, space, and cost issues. They would just use their generators.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

If you looking to heat a dish or do a bag of popcorn then watch a small TV for a short time...like to get the news, an inverter would be fine....I have a small unit that works with my Single House Deep Cycle Battery and haven't had an issue...except the one time the wife decided to make pasta and used the microwave to boil the water....that ate up the battery.

I was "swimming the dog" at the time and noticed the lights get dimmer and dimmer, I didn't bring my tender for a night on the hook. Had to swim to shore to walk the dog...it wasn't so bad at night..but hated jumping into the water in the morning. The next time it was BBQ and only used the microwave to heat up some items...also brought my raft.

The fridge...if I'm cruising I may have the inverter give it a boost of coldness..otherwise the fridge stays pretty cool for a long time and I will not run it if motor is not charging the battery.

If your needs are more...or plan to go offshore...I'd opt for a genset.
coolair

Post by coolair »

ya i lke the little westerbeke also there is a small a/c that runs on an inverter i forgot who makes it though.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854