Fuel Problem Update w/Pics!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Vince Luciani

Fuel Problem Update w/Pics!

Post by Vince Luciani »

Hello gang,

I am happy to report that I believe that I have gotten a handle on my fuel problems. I listened to all the advice about filters (racors vs. spin ons) and fuel polishing, etc. I went with a dual filtration system (like recommended by Tony Athens) but kept my racor 900’s as primary filters (clear bowl to see water, etc.) I installed vacuum gages with drag pointers to monitor the filters. After a lot of discussion about what to do with the “problem” fuel in my tank (i.e., fuel polishing vs. disposal vs. letting the engines filter the fuel) I decided with the latter. I have run about 4 tankfulls since I installed the new filters. I have run 4 offshore trips to the canyon, two of them in pretty rough seas. The first trips I noticed that when I powered up after trolling all day, the engines stutterred for about 5 seconds or so. Nothing bad, but still not right. I suspect that debris was accumulating in the lines or at the pickup and cleared out quickly when I powered up. After 2 trips that problem went away. Engines are now running like normal. I believe the key to solving the problem was eliminating the screens on the pickups. Now the crud gets in my “crud” filter before it reaches my racors. I changed my filters after my first trip and I finally cut the filter open this weekend to take a look. I attached some photos of that filter. My vacuum gauges were about 8 in. when I changed that filter. I have now run 2 consecutive offshore trips without changing the filters and I am reading only 5 in on my vacuum gauge. I believe my fuel is getting cleaner!

Below are some pictures. The “crud” filter I added is a Napa 3418 filter ($12.95 online) and a Napa filter head ($27). Cheap insurance! The fittings for the squeeze bulb priming system are from McMaster Carr. I remember the discussion about changing spin on filters. I can say with the squeeze bulb priming system, it takes me 10 minutes to change all four filters.

My Dual Filtration Setup

First Filter Change

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vince
Glad you got things going your way.

We always apprecited a follow up post.......thanks

hb
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Where did you get those vacuum gauges and approximately how much did they cost? I assume you must open/tighten the tops with an open end wrench as opposed to the standard (non-gauge) wingnut type top, no? Is that an adapter piece or does it come with the gauge?
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Walter,

I got them online at Designated Engineer. I've attached the link below. They were $75. You are correct that you need to use an open end wrench and the adapter does come with the gauge. The drag pointer eliminates the need to watch the gauge as the engine is running. First time I purchased from this company but the transaction was very smooth. I got my gauges in a few days after ordering.

http://www.designatedengineer.com/