Transducer Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Peter

Transducer Question

Post by Peter »

When I acquired my boat it came with some good, but now pretty obsolete electronics. I have been thinking about newer flat screen multi function stuff as replacement since my fish finder, radar, GPS and yes, loran unit are old enough to be no longer supported.

My question is about the fish finder transducer, a subject about which I confess my total ignorance:

Are the transducers specific to each unit or are they interchangeable to some extent? My old one is mounted through the hull and worked well with the Ray Marine V820 unit; so keeping it represents a savings in time and effort vs. pulling it out, reworking the hole in the hull, and replacing it with a new one.

If there was some sort of make and model number on the transducer it is long lost. I do know that it works on dual frequencies ( 50 or 200 kHz) and has a paddle wheel log.

Any education you fellows can give me in this matter is appreciated.

Peter
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Your 50/200 transducer that worked on your Raytheon 820 should work fine on most applications. The area of change that has to be made is most probably the plug that goes into your new set or it's "black box". Adapters exist or your electronics guy can properly splice in the proper plug to the transducer wire. If I am not mistaken, your transducer has a removable "core" and should also have a same sized plug that would be pushed into the core's hole when removing it, thus allowing transducer work while in the water. The main reason for removal usually is replacement due to damaged paddle wheels.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks for the reply.

THe paddle wheel is working just fine (for now anyway)

I don't see exactly how the removeable core works, but I wil have another look at it the net time I am aboard. Interesting.

Is there any difference between Furuno or Ray or others like Si Tex or whatever?

Peter
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I had two different Raytheon 800 series Depth Recorders and now a Furuno with the same transducer if that's any help. As far as the ability to remove the core, if your transducer is like mine, there should be a horizontal pin attached to a ring that goes through the threaded outer part of the thru hull horizontally. When pulled out (via the ring), it frees up the core that has the paddle wheel on it, and can be pulled up and out via another ring on the top of it. Do NOT do that unless you have the alternate plug to quickly push back into the hole. Your transducer may be different than mine, so don't panic if the description doesn't match what you have.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Transducers are interchangeable...provided the frequency and power is compatible...and wired up for your sounder.

If your just looking for depth and the occasional fishy...plug it in and your good....but I'm thinking your going to be dumping a good deal of cash on your upgrade...I'd make sure I was utilizing the most compatible Transducer to match my unit. What you have may be the perfect match...on the other hand if your buying a unit with 1000 watts of signal going thru a 100 watt transducer you'll get a reading...but it won't be the best it could be.