When it rains, it pours!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harv

When it rains, it pours!!

Post by Harv »

Well, we all know the misfortune John had with his transmission.
Next, I take may car to the shop for precautionary pretrip measures, and my AC compressor lets go, with no availability today to replace it. I was supposed to pick up Capt. Pat at 250PM at JFK, but he got bumped off his connecting flight in Atlanta, and is tentatively due in at 550PM, barring any further complications.

So instead of leaving here at 7AM tomorrow, I am going to the shop to replace the compressor. Capt. Pat gets to sleep in late, and hopefully we can be on the road by lunchtime.
Harv
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Harv,
Replacing a compressor, dryer filter assy, flushing the system completly to remove any metal from the bad compressor when it let go and the residue oil so you don't have over the capacity of oil which will create its own problems. evacuating it, charging and adding the proper amount of oil and checking for leaks is a time consuming job.

Most of the time the components have to be removed to flush the oil completely as its contaminated from the compressor failure.

Any short cuts will shorten the life of the compressor.
Don't go with a rebuilt to save money, buy a new one and make sure they are though in replacing what needs to be replaced.

Make sure you understand the compressors warrantee as it gets voided very quickly by installers shortcuts.

Can't tell you the many people I know that have had a compressor replaced without the shop doing a complete job and how many people keep blowing the replacement compressors and the many trips back to the repair shop after paying long money.

Good luck leaving by noon unless the only thing wrong is just replacing the electric clutch.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bruce,

compressor is being replaced (new) under my mechanic's guarantee.
Only costs will probably be for the freon.
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Back home.
AC still not right.
Back to the shop first thing tomorrow.
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Finally fixed. Turned out to be a faulty relay switch cutting the new compressor on and off. Also had the rear orifice tube replaced as well. 46 degrees coming out of the vents now.
Harv
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Could use some of that 46 degrees down here today.......Greenport weather was very very.....did I say VERY? nice.....In fact Sat night was quite cool for this South Alabama Redneck! ! !

hb
hb