Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

dougl33

Nice night for a ride at 24 knots

Post by dougl33 »

Regards,

Doug L.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Very nice, that is a great boat with the Cummins in there!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Thanks Frank. I repowered for the start of the 2007 season. Its been like having a brand new boat.
Regards,

Doug L.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I didn't get "it" till a few years ago...

"It" being Dads pictures of water and boat wakes after he came back from fishing trips offshore, Gloucester, Rhode Island...now I can stare at them all day and I have my own growing collection.

Looks like she was really humming along...gotta get me a pair of them diesels...its on the list...have the tank fill and registration completed...
scot

Post by scot »

Very nice and motivating. Being smack in the middle of a complete re-configuration & repower I REALLY enjoy a faux boat ride in a diesel powered Bertram via Youtube. I can watch'em over and over again. Seems to always get me back outside grabbing for the grinder.

Is that the sweet sound of turbos whining I can hear in the background! She is really moving along at a nice clip.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Yep. Those are the turbos. They're 300hp 6BTA's. They're the early versions (cpl 0970) that I bought as running take outs a few years ago. They've had all of the upgrades over the years (after-cooler, pumps, heads, etc...).

2400rpms gets me a 23-24 knot cruise burning a little over 20gph. I think that's pretty good for a 33 Bert.
Regards,

Doug L.
Harv

Post by Harv »

dougl33 wrote:Yep. Those are the turbos. They're 300hp 6BTA's. They're the early versions (cpl 0970) that I bought as running take outs a few years ago. They've had all of the upgrades over the years (after-cooler, pumps, heads, etc...).

2400rpms gets me a 23-24 knot cruise burning a little over 20gph. I think that's pretty good for a 33 Bert.
That's better economy than I got with my gassers in the 31, at the same speed. I have a vido like that, that I watch from time to time, especially because I can listen to my dad say..... "WHAT?"
Harv
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Scot...

I share your frustration! I am two years (actually more like 3) into a complete rebuild of "Phoenix".. too many projects to mention here.. but every day I get a little closer to the end, and I am happy with the results.

I did not need to repower, but literally everything else needed attention to one degree or another. Have had the boat in the slip for so long some of my dock lines are turning green! I am planning on having enough done that I can use the boat as-is by the end of this summer.

Harv...

All of us with B33s and diesels in the 315/330HP range seem to get about the same fuel burn.. 1.0 gal per nm or slightly better, in the 0.9 gal per nm range. Our boats all weigh about 24,000 lbs slightly loaded. My run of 170 nm from Charleston, SC, to my slip in Wilm, NC, consumed about 165 gal of fuel, for a trip up the ICW where occasionally you can run at 20-22 knots, and other times you are idling or even in and out of gear when you are right alongside some guy's boat on a float in his back yard.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

First trip to the Big Rock (in NC) last weekend with the same 300 HP 6BTA's in my 31. left dock at 6:00, back in at 4:00. around 90 NM, 4.0 hrs running 20-23 knots and the rest trolling. 72 gals.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Regards,

Doug L.