Pin Holes

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

matt ciarpella

Pin Holes

Post by matt ciarpella »

Whats the best product to use after a first coat of 545 primer?
Thanks in advance,
Matt
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

I used the awl fair for pinholes then high build over that, long board fair till flat n smooth, 545 over everything when done..happy sanding. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Thanks Bob, in hind sight, a dumb question. Not the last one Ill ask.
Matt
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

No such thing...

click on the www on the bottom my response and you will see the answers to many of the "dumb" questions I asked.

Bucket of knowledge is very deep on this site....ask away... BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Bob - How did you strip the gelcoat on your Bahia Mar?

Looks like gelcoat peeler?

Thanks!

Ian.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Ian, I used ground up corn in a sand blaster to remove all the old paint, then I "CAREFULLY" used a grinder to get the bulk gel off then switched to random orbital. The key is building the finish back..I used 10 coats of west epoxy with moisture additive, then I began the longboarding and fairing, the grinding if not done carefully leaves tons of highs and lows, highbuild and low density filler will become your best friend. I have at least three weeks into fairing the hull.
I am very happy with the out come...flat as a I can get it. Patience and persistence. BH