engine survey

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

engine survey

Post by bob lico »

bruce as a capt. i am going to help with a survey on a boat that i will be the captain and total responsibility for maint. i ordered a complete survey after checking serial numbers and researth of year 2000 twin 10 cylinder mans 1050hp, zf gears and 20kw kohler gen set.to include removal of 20 injectors and bore scope every cylinder,engine and gear oil analizing of all of above from bulb of oil pan. in water 10 mile check out at all speeds with gen set running.do you think $3000.00 is out of line or shall i say what would be the going rate you would charge with yourself and helper.boat is about 40 miles away.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

You'll like the 1050 10's. Fishiest boat I've ever run had them for power Only issue was with the electronic side, but this was a 98 model year and that issue was repaired on the later versions.
The only hard issue was with the oil lines cracking on 2 occassions and filling the V of the block up with oil and making a big ass mess. Secondary fuel filters were in a shitty spot as well.

Check the service records, MAN has a very thorough and expensive to do list as the engines get hours them.

Welcome to the world of big dollar maintenance.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

man history data show only a few minor leaks repaired under warranty. engines are very late 2000 and are "half " electronic . 2001 starts common rail mans.engines have 2250 hours and gen set 3200 which is normal.jp you know both man and mtu are sticklers insisting must use there filters and oil and change injectors at 1000 hour intervals or warranty is void.i am just trying to be extra carful because i will have to live by this mechanical survey.the 510 bertram has wot of 33 kts and cruise at 30knt. i will wait till at least small craft wanings or gale warnings check out before payment.boat actually stands still in harbor with 20mph gust i know for sure my friend 45 cabo is moving all over the place under same conditions ,what gives? do you have experiance with 510 bertram? is it possible that it is that much more stable (at low speed check only) then 50' viking or 45' cabo????
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Still rocks like a Bertram. Dry hull, good sea boat. Most of your low speed steering will be done with help from the engines. Close quarter rudder steering is a no-no.

Check for rub rail leaks and after running in a heavy sea be sure the check the outboard side of the engines for salt spray. If the boat is set up like the 570 with the pump room under the deck make sure the deck is still sealed
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank for the quick return . big access hatch on foward portion of cockpit that goes beam to beam with genset underneath.pump room is on aft cockpit deck .i will check seal. as to salt residue in engine room there was none i guess the 51 is set up like 57 from what you tell me. i will check rub rail after bad seas running wot . your a wealth of information,like i said i will inherit all problems and it is my decision to give go ahead to absentee owner.so in so many words i appreciate your imput.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp sent you another pm.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
Pricing is not off for something like that and travel after all we're talking about about high iron cost. My recomendation go to the man school as the captain, it will help out tremendously.

Surveys as we all know may or may not reveal everything.
I've had Mans that were touchy and some that didn't hickup at all.

One thing I've run into is on the higher end boats they like to paint the engines with awlgrip or the sort. I've had issues with caked on paint on fittings and in one circumstance getting into the fuel system.

I've had the fuel priming hand pumps go south pretty quick. Priming pumps on these engines is a must in my book.

Try and find out how the boat was run and if run hard, look for wall scoring when bore scoping.

BTW, first pass out last night with the car was sorta a bust. I didn't line the car after the burnout in the groove(it sucked anyways due to alot of rain lately) and at 200' it headed to the wall.
At least the chutes didn't have to get repacked, theres always a bright side:)

Today should be better, I hope.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

don`t get caught sleeping in the hole and keeping the car straight is just as important as the hp. people die for lane choice this is part of untold game.the grove is part of it.---------------luck in future

this 510 bertram is part of final retirement so i will lean big iron i am throw back with "sticker shock" already . 42,000 for rebuild my friend is doing on one man. engine out of viking.man/mtu same rocker cover on new series very ,very simular.bore scope tells all but the price is steep at $150,000 per side you weight everything .slight leak in intercooler will suck glycol into engine and self destruck something i don`t look for on yanmar/cummins 315hp.blown crank shaft just about unheard of 315 hp engines but common place on the big iron.wow a new chapter in the diesel world i want nothing to do with repair but have the knowledge in the brain of right and wrong.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
When you start getting upwards of 800hp, its a whole nuther ball game and set of issues, none of which are cheap. Its also where you start needing multiple helpers for repair. The parts get much heavier. But its nice where some makers have individual heads for each cylinder. Makes redoing a bad hole somewhat easier.