Gelcoat color codes

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Henrik

Gelcoat color codes

Post by Henrik »

Need to fix some gelcoat damages on my 31 FBC - 80.
Searched the forum and tried to contact Bertram in order to find the original "white" gelcoat color code, RAL or similar.

Does anyone know where I can find this information or is it better to just give my local supplier a sample from the boat?

Thanks,
Henrik
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

The problem with gelcoat colors is that an original color will be darker than a gelcoat that has been fading for 30 years. Matching a current 30 yr old color will match for a season or two, but will fade and be lighter with age. Matching the current color is probably the best way to go...
coolair

Post by coolair »

OK, so my question is, what color pigment do you need for oyster white? a yellow??
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

All custom color paints and gelcoats start with a neutral color that looks somewhat like a flesh color. Making up a general color isn't too hateful but matching a color without sophisticated chromatic equipment is a total bitch. Oyster white is a combination of Neutral, white, burnt sienna, yellow ocher, and brown.

Having been down the low tech road of color matching on more than a few occasions and with only marginal success, I have only one piece of advise:

Leave it to the professionals.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

if you are planing small gel repairs I would caution against it, what happens with 30 year old gelcoat such as the offwhite of the bertram is it will darken when you sand it.

Performing gelcoat repairs requires a bit of sanding and polishing, so what will happen is these areas will then be darker then the areas around it.

If you are doing larger repairs it wont be a problem, or if your gelcoat is in EXCEPTIONAL condition.

It is a problem on 5 year old boats let alone a 30 year old boat

If you are just filling in some chips and dings and want it to look good from 10' ahead then you will need to custom mix the gelcoat, check if the gel gets darker with the addition of MEKP, cooks gelcoat does this now and it can be a real pain in the ass when matching colors.
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Thanks a lot!
I'll leave it to the professionals and mix a as close match as possible.
Will share the result with you as soon as the boat is done, which should be sometime in July.

BR Henrik
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Henrik,

Be sure to compound and polish the sample piece before sending it out. There will be a color difference between an un-polished piece and a polished piece...
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I would add to sand the area first, some 600 then 1000, then a good compound. This is what the areas around your repair will end up so thats the color you want to match.