aluminum care

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

aluminum care

Post by JohnCranston »

I got my new tower a couple of weeks ago, finally. What's the easyest product to work with to protect the new medal? We are gonna stop by West Marine today and want to slap something on the tower this weekend.
I've used Woody wax in the past, and it worked well on the old medal, but, kind of alot of labor.
Thank you.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

I meant metal...
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Rub down with CX.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I have yet to try CX, but the best Product I have ever tried was Rupp Alumiguard.

I used to set aside a couple hours to wash the tower then wax it.

I got stuck with a bottle of this Rupp Stuff a customer didn't want, the tower needed a cleaning so I figured what the hell I'll give it a try. Give the Tower a Spritz and the white haze turned back into a gleeming finish. Didn't even have to rub, just get the surface wet with product. Think I finished the tower in twenty minutes and it actually lasted quite awhile.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The Rupp appears to be nothing but a silcone and works okay but not even close to regualr red can CX - far and away the best, actually gets into the pores of the metal and stays there a long time. Just put some on a rag and go at it, spray it in the hard to get at spots. A couple of applications a year should make the new tower last 100 years. Some object to the CX smell but it goes away in a day or so.

UV
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

I already have the CX, so, I'm good. Will it stain the black Stamoid?
Thanks.
In Memory of Vicroy

No - CX won't stain......I know....recently put a shotgun I'd just doused with it on a white bedspread.....ooooooppppppssss.....did not stain, I'm still married.

UV
Carl

Post by Carl »

Vicroy wrote:No - CX won't stain......I know....recently put a shotgun I'd just doused with it on a white bedspread.....ooooooppppppssss.....did not stain, I'm still married.

UV

ummm... that could just be her way of getting back at you!

Them women can be devious ones...

I have to try the CX then, cause if it works as good or better then the Rupp with other uses....We have a clear winner.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I like the woody wax. Wipe on, wipe off. Simple easy and lasts a long time.

Dug
coolair

Post by coolair »

what the hell John!
you got a tower and didn't tell anyone! where da pictures?? i guess you are gonna make me drive down to Freeport again to look at it.
details pleeeeaaaseee. Oh I like how you spelled medal, heard a guy tell a joke other day, and he spelled government, guvmut. haha

Also sense yall are on the subject does CX do the same as tef gel, can i spray the screws down with CX or do i need to use tef gel, and does tef gel or CX work as a anti-seize

AND finally John, would you say fish with renegade mike when i go to cabo in March
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
When I said "medal", I guess that I was thinking of one of my girl scout badges..oh..I mean brownies...it's been a long time..I forget which one...The tower's pretty slick..you're gonna have to come down and take a look...bring some beer...it would be nice to meet you some day.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
Oh yeah, You have to fish with Mike. You won't be sorry. Bring some fish back, cause Mckinney and I want to munch at your place.
In Memory of Vicroy

Use Tef-Gel on the screw threads, best there is. CX will work, but not as good as tef gel, which will stay there pretty much forever.

UV
coolair

Post by coolair »

for sure john! i will give you a buz if i get free this weekend. i still got alot of work todo on my boat, so i might be in galveston.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854